Spring Has Sprung!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo....They are for sure needing more sun...or some real sun for that matter. I am going to move them up to the sun porch so they can start to get acclimatized...some day they will be outside....You could send us some heat.

I know spring is truly on the way...the cat wanted outside today...
smiley3.gif
it's been months since he got near the door...Guess he knew it was 43*F out there....[that's above zero] Rain on the way for a few days.

Think Spring.....

Hey you guys remember me saying last year the black currants smelled like cat piss? Well I went to a "Small Fruit Seminar"conferenceon Tuesday and some of us were discussing things we had growing. One lady said her husband had planted a few black currants. They were going to rip them out cause they stink so bad - "just like cat piss" in her words! I had to reassure her they really do make a good wine!

Yes...they do smell like that.

Every time I brush against the plants or prune them I get a whiff of that oder....Don't mind it as much now that spring is getting closer, anything green smells good to me now....

Geraniums don't smell that great either.

Our native Orchids the Pink Lady Slippers [our state flower] smell like horse piss....

Natures way of protecting the good things.

We got one of those fun spring snows last night. It was just enough to clean things up a bit...
smiley5.gif

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
20080329_074956_images.jpg
Here is the stinkiest plant, my father grew them, called them devil's tounges. The are somewhat carniverous as they attract flies to pollinate and that cup on the bottom holds water that drowns some of them. It smells like rotting roadkill, to attract the flies. God I remeber that smell from spring when they would sprout in our basement.
smiley11.gif

Think I had one of those once...They called it Voo-Doo Lily.

Pretty interesting, but very stinky.

Despite the clouds and strong winds the temperature got up into the 40's today...didn't feel like it tho.

The snow receded a bit more and low and behold the Daffodils are up...looking a little piked and pale after a long winter under a snow drift....A few days of sunshine and they should turn green...

daffsSmall.jpg

A beautiful looking day here today- as long as you were in looking out. I went out a few times and tried to do things, but it was just too darned cool. Got up to 25 degress today, but there were winds up to 25 mph! If it doesn't change before then, Tuesday is supposed to hit close to 60!. That would be nice. I haven't seen any flowers coming up yet, heck there aren't only two small bare patches by the road that are expanding slowly.

Great to see the daffy's coming up
smiley4.gif

I found these yesterday. I hope you can see them.

100_1622.jpg

100_1623.jpg

I'm not sure what they are. I planted them last fall. It could be crocuses, daffodils or may be field lilies. They are all three in there.

Anything alive and coming out the soil is a gift from God after a long winter....

The first ones look like Crocus, the other looks like Tulips...but hose weren't on you list of suspects.

I just hope summer falls on a Sunday this year so we can have a nice picnic!!!

smiley36.gif
It might hannabarn. You never know.
No! No tulips unless there was screw up on the bulb. That is always possible I guess.

<a href="http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/rgecaprock/OKLAHOMA%20MARCH%202008/MORE%20OKLAHOMA%20MARCH%202008/AND%20MORE%20OK%20MARCH%202008/OKLA%20VIDEOS/?action=view&amp;current=PEEPERSANDFULLMOON.flv" target="_blank">
</A>

Here you go.....one of my favorite sounds.It will really make you think of spring. Turn up the volume.........Ramona

&lt;embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i212.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid212.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/rgecaprock/OKLAHOMA%20MARCH%202008/MORE%20OKLAHOMA%20MARCH%202008/AND%20MORE%20OK%20MARCH%202008/OKLA%20VIDEOS/PEEPERSANDFULLMOON.flv"&gt;Edited by: rgecaprock

Hey, we get ripe tomatoes too - in about August! Great to see some green when all we see is white all the time now. I actually have a couple growing spots of brown lawn growing!

Latest posts

Back