Spray bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I have 2 spray bottles full of S-meta I use them when I forget to sanitize something. Neither of them work now. I thought maybe the tubing and the works in the sprayer might be clogged with salt deposits so I tried soaking one of them in hot water. It made no difference. Anyone have experience or insight on this?

Hey Joan. I always buy several spray bottles at a time. They do not last forever. The .99 don't last long at all. When I go to Home Depot I usually buy the ones that cost a few dollars more. You get what you pay for, but again I am usually happy to get a year out of mine. I have star San in mine.

Ive had mine for about 4 years now but I use K-meta in mine so maybe thats the diff. It was a good one from Home Depot.

S-meta is sodium which is salt so I would imagine it is a little corrosive. I, like Wade, use K-meta and I haven't noticed any problem. My spray bottles last about a year!

They are not the $.99ers. They were good ones. Of course I'm the same way with plants... if there seems to be a smidgen of hope of bringing them back to life, I keep them. One day I will learn...maybe! =)

Thank you all for the info.

I have also gone through a couple of them over time. I think something corrodes or otherwise breaks in the spray nozzle.

Tom

You mean Na-Meta right!
smiley36.gif

hannabarn said:
S-meta is sodium which is salt so I would imagine it is a little corrosive. I, like Wade, use K-meta and I haven't noticed any problem. My spray bottles last about a year!

I bought one for the first time year ago for that use. I bought it at the LHBS and spent a few dollars on it. I used it once and it would spray no more. Now I just splash it all over things like I used to do.

ibglowin said:
You mean Na-Meta right!
smiley36.gif

hannabarn said:

Ok, Mike! I started it! My father had a PhD in chemistry. I did NOT inherit his propensity for all things chemical!
smiley17.gif

I got my spray bottles at SAMS. I never had a problem. I use K-Meta.

I use the dollar store ones, totally cheap and they last about a year. You can't go wrong for a buck.

All kidding aside, I bought a cheap spray bottle at my local hardware store back in July. I use it every few days and it has not plugged once.

I use K-Meta, perhaps the Sodium is causing a plugging problem over the Potassium?

You use it every few days? WOW. You "must" be busy...

Looks like you are gonna start filling your wine cellar!
BTW nice labels. Are those the ones going on the bottles?

Yea,
I made these off the winelabelsdirect.com website and printed on Avery Labels. The ones that go on the bottles are same ones ordered off the website and are made from a nice glossy stock, little nicer and water resistant.

Nice way to keep all those carboys in order!

Both K-meta and Na-meta are corrosive to steel. They will eventually eat up the steel parts (springs and ball bearings), and the sprayer will fail.

Mike - I just use 2" wide blue painter's tape and a sharpie to lebel my carboys. Many of my wines never even get labelled.

I enjoy designing the labels and hope the wine I end up with taste as good as the label looks!

At some point I may just go with the Avery versions. Lot cheaper for sure!

IBGLOWIN, I notice your picture of wines and have a question to you and/or all viewing. The first couple of carboys seem to have excessive headspace. Am I correct or is that amount acceptable?

Back