Mosti Mondiale Specific Gravity of merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully55

Reaction score
I have a village vinter merlot kit that i started on 2/21 with a specific gravity of 1.078 at 64 degrees. On 2/27 the SG was 1.010 at 64d so i transfered to the carboy. The SG on 3/5 was .0998 at 64d and on 3/10 it was also 0.0998 at 64d. Today is 3/13 and the SG is still at 0.0998 at 64d. I know the wine is on the cold side for the fermentation but everything seems to have progressed on schedule. The kit instructions say that the SG should be 0.0996 before i stabilize. Can i do a second racking now and stabilize or should i wait longer even though nothing seems to be happening?

Hey Sully55, Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us. :)

I'm also a newbie but my guess is that you are good to go. Hold on a minute or two, and someone with more experience will answer.

thanks for the quick reply. it's good to have a second oppinion. i'll stabilize it this afternoon. That light is similar to Portland Head. Which is it?

sully55 said:
...... That light is similar to Portland Head. Which is it?

Not sure....it is one of the stock pictures here to choose from. Are you familiar with Portland Head??

Sully,
Yes, the temp could be up more, but if the SG has been at .998 for that long, it's finished fermenting. I don't know why they would say .996 because lots of times fermentation will stop at a slightly highier SG. .998 is a common stopping place, too.
The main thing is that the SG is NOT changing. That tells you when fermentation is done. Your wine has been in the carboy for about 15 days and that is OK, but it is time to move to the next step.

Next time, try to keep the temp above 70 F, with a brew belt if necessary. Put the brew belt on when you pitch the yeast; take it off when fermentation is real active and the temp is above ~75. Then, when fermentation slows and the temp starts falling below 70, you can add the belt again. Most of us put the belt on carboys and have had no problems, so don't worry about it cracking.

When you are reading the SG, make sure you adjust the reading, based on the temperature of the must/wine. The hydrometer came with a chart that shows you how to adjust. Also, maybe you should test your hydrometer to make sure it is spot on. In 60 degree (check your chart to determine if your hydometer is calibrated for 60 or 68 and use that temp) distilled water, it should read 1.000. If it doesn't, adjust your readings by how much it is off and also by the temp of the must/wine.

Good luck.

sully55;
Most kits will have you degass at the same time that you stabilize... degassing will go a lot better if your wine temps. are in that 72-75 D. range....It's very hard to get the gass out of the wine when it is too cool.....And WELCOME to the forum...

Instructions are a general idea, every 1 of these kits will ferment a little different and the sg you have is a good one so carry on. A temp of around 75 would help youn greatly get rid of trapped C02 in your wine and also aid in the clearing of your win e too.

Welcome to the forum, Dennis. Here's another thought, if you raise the temp of the wine to 75' (as others have indicated is important to completely degas) and recheck the SG it will probably drop from 0.998 at 64' to 0.996. If you have access to a brew belt it will help a lot to keep the ferment temps at around 75'.

I was wondering if the hydrometer could be off alittle. I'll have to test it. The brew belt is a great idea for the winter. I don't see one available in the toy store. where can i get one?

Latest posts

Back