WineXpert Sparkling Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need a riddling rack....I just turned our last batch up side down in the crates and will do this batch like that again....

I have all the plans, had the lumber laid out in the garage...then got tired of stumbling over it and stood it back up against the wall with instructions that those were my boards...ho hum!!!

Ok so I am at about 2 weeks with the wine in the bottles, however I am not sure if it fermented or not. If you look at the bottle it is a little hazy with some 'dust' on the bottom of the bottle, if you turn the bottle upside down it starts to fall towards the neck of the bottle, it looks like lees from a fermentation but Im not sure. I have been keeping these bottles at room temp and in about 2 more weeks I will open one to see if the fermentation actually took place.

Scuba

I would give them more time as what you have described is fermentation. Sounds like everything is going great.

Well it has just been about 1 month since I bottled this and I am looking forward to trying it over the weekend.

When I bottled this batch I had about 1/2 gal left over, so I put it into a 1 gal jug and threw a airlock on it, figuring it would ferment out and then I could just maybe use 1 reg bottle and bottle that. However I looked at the jug today and the wine is very very cloudy and hazy, which is weird becuase the sparkling wine in the bottles is clear as could be with just a little lees on the bottom. Any idea what is going on in the jug?

Scuba

It has most likely fermented more due to the large area of oxygen from not being topped up. Typically when sparkled it runs out of O2 and stops fermenting and fizzles out leaving some residual but not much.

I believe it is because it has C02 remaining in suspension and not compressed in a bottle like the sparkling wine and I believe that is why they dont get all cloudy like a still wine does.

I am chilling a bottle of the sparklingRieslingsoI can try it tonight. Ill let you guys know how it is. Edited by: Scubaman2151

Scuba, I just pulled out a bottle of the Sparkling Riesling I bottled a little over a year ago. I am photographing a wedding tomorrow and I decided I'm going to give it to the bride and groom.

Joan, what a great gift that will be!!!!
smiley4.gif

Excellent gift idea. Have a great time at the wedding! Do you that for a living?Edited by: Scubaman2151

Scuba, no, I don't do it for a living. In fact this is my first wedding! GULP!
smiley3.gif
It might be a good gig for some extra money!

Uavwmn, I went to the rehearsal this evening to take some photos and to see the lay of the land. I gave the SR to the groom and he was thrilled. I told him it was just for him and his bride!

I have the feeling this is going to be a wild one! The bride's parents are a hoot and there are 7 attendants on each side --most of them are just out of college! With 150 guests, it will be a very busy day tomorrow! I hope I'm still upright tomorrow this time!
smiley4.gif

Have fun Joan, it sound like this one is going to be fun.

Apple: Ill get some pics for you within a few days. The arbor turned out very well IMHO but I need up losing 1 of the 3 vines I planted this year. I think due to lack of water but I'm not sure. I was away for most of this summer thus I wasn't able to keep a close eye on these vines. The other two vines though did VERY well.

Anyway onto the sparkling wine. So I pulled the bottle out of the fridge and got the glass ready and got the camera ready so you could all see what was happening. I took the wire off the bottle and put it into the sink, then I was moving the camera and out of nowhere the damn plastic stopper popped out and flew EVERYWHERE. It hit the ceiling about 4 ft above my head, came back down, hit the sink and bounced to near the trash bin. The bottle then proceeded to overflow and that is where I started the video.

I poured the first glass and it looked good. The only thing I can complain about though is the bubbles, there was very many. The first glass in the video had a OK amount but the second and third glass had very little bubbles to speak of. Will more time in the bottle produce more bubbles?

Anyway here is the video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1Z4s7Q3jk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1Z4s7Q3jk[/ame]

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

Was it cold? It should be served very cold to hold in the CO2 and immediately re capped with stopper and hood.

Maybe you lost all the co2 in the bottom of the bottle when the cap blew off! The ones in your glass were from the top!
smiley4.gif

So how does it taste?

Latest posts

Back