RJ Spagnols Spain Cabernet Sauvignon - En Primeur

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerinvite

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this kit out?

I couldn't track down a single review anywhere (too new maybe?)

Thanks!

p.s. is this the place/way to ask these type of questions on this fourm?

I ended up with the aglianico but the shopkeeper said it needs 1 - 1.5 yrs to be nice. They couldn't keep a source on California juice. Doing any tweaks?

It's my first kit, so sticking to the basics pretty much. I'm probably going to bulk age it in the carboy after secondary for 6 - 8 months before bottling.

What sort of tweaks are common?

If you've got any first timer advice for me, happy to hear it!

It's my first kit, so sticking to the basics pretty much. I'm probably going to bulk age it in the carboy after secondary for 6 - 8 months before bottling.

What sort of tweaks are common?

If you've got any first timer advice for me, happy to hear it!

The tweaks I typically do are extra oak, extra time, and extra tannins. You could also swap the yeast to something like RC212. I omit the sorbate, as well. The tannins and oak will make your wine taste substantially more like commercial wine.

Just switched it to secondary as sg was 1.019. Reading up on the yeasts now and wishing I'd had gone with the rc212. I understand why they put ec1118 but seems a shame.

Next kit I may cut it into 2 from the start and try different yeasting on one half so I can taste the difference.

Do the seasonal kits coming out soon usually use rc212 in the reds? I've ordered a couple of those kits.

Chris

Chris,

It is amazing but even a lot of the higher end kits come with EC-1118. It's full proof and will ferment in about any environment, so that is why they use it so much, plus the flavor profile is "neutral" and it lets the grape variety shine through.

Your idea of splitting batches is a good one. As newbies (I'm one also) we rush to "improve" something that we've never made before. If you like the kit you just made, make another with the RC-212 and compare them in a year or two. First hand trials are the best way to learn.

BTW, welcome to WMT!

The tweaks I typically do are extra oak, extra time, and extra tannins. You could also swap the yeast to something like RC212. I omit the sorbate, as well. The tannins and oak will make your wine taste substantially more like commercial wine.

Heather, on a kit like this one, how much powdered tannin would you use and when? is it by taste or do you just add a tablespoon like others do? (never understood that method personally).

extra oak i can see being adding a bit every few months as needed. this should also contribute some tannins as well.

Heather, on a kit like this one, how much powdered tannin would you use and when? is it by taste or do you just add a tablespoon like others do? (never understood that method personally).

extra oak i can see being adding a bit every few months as needed. this should also contribute some tannins as well.

For a kit like that one I would add:

1 TBL for six gallons during clearing/bulk aging.

Two oak spirals during bulk aging for six weeks.

Latest posts

Back