Something went wrong with filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef57

Reaction score
I just finished my first batch of DB. Everything was going great from day 1. But before racking to my bottling bucket last night, i bumped the carboy and put some of the sediment back in suspension...
So instead of waiting for it to settle back down, i decided to run it through the filter. I had a set of #3 (coarse) pads laying around so i used them.
I pored myself a glass out of the carboy.... you know, for the hard strenuous work ahead.... and it tasted amazing!!!
Ran some iodophor through the pump and hoses while the pads were soaking then ran the batch through.
Looks amazing, nice deep pink, crystal clear!!
I cracked a bottle tonight and I get a soapy aftertaste?!?!?
Where did that come from??
The pump and hoses, bottling bucket and all the gear were clean, rinsed and sanitized... Taste awesome before going though the pump, but tastes like freaking Ivory coming out of it?!?!
My best guess is the #3 pads maybe? I've only ever used #2s before and never had a problem...
Anybody else experienced soapy taste? Will it fade out with aging?

Tell us a bit more please -

What did you use to sanitize everything with ? and the entire procedure from start to finish.

Tell us a bit more please -

What did you use to sanitize everything with ? and the entire procedure from start to finish.

All my equipment was washed with OxyClean & rinsed then I used Iodophor solution. (1ml/L) for sanitizing everything (pump, hoses, bucket, gear & bottles) pumped out of the carboy straight into my bottling bucket,
This is the same procedure I use for brewing... minus the pump.

I hope someone else can chime in as I mainly use sulfite for sanitizing only.

All my equipment was washed with OxyClean & rinsed then I used Iodophor solution. (1ml/L) for sanitizing everything (pump, hoses, bucket, gear & bottles) pumped out of the carboy straight into my bottling bucket,
This is the same procedure I use for brewing... minus the pump.

Just from this information, which OxyClean did you use? Did it not rinse completely out? I know the OxyClean Free has the Green lid and no perfumes or dyes.

You did say you rinsed and sanitized, so I can be completely wrong.

Just from this information, which OxyClean did you use? Did it not rinse completely out? I know the OxyClean Free has the Green lid and no perfumes or dyes.

You did say you rinsed and sanitized, so I can be completely wrong.

I use OxyClean Versatile chlorine free from my local Costco.
I guess it is possible I just didn't rinse properly but I have used the same process for a while for brewing and never had a problem before.... Mind you, I am very new at wine making... and maybe beer is more tolerant... but i always thought it was the other way around??

I hope this off flavor goes away... In the meantime, I might just have to start another batch and throw my filter back in the closet..

I use OxyClean Versatile chlorine free from my local Costco.
I guess it is possible I just didn't rinse properly but I have used the same process for a while for brewing and never had a problem before.... Mind you, I am very new at wine making... and maybe beer is more tolerant... but i always thought it was the other way around??

I hope this off flavor goes away... In the meantime, I might just have to start another batch and throw my filter back in the closet..

Stef57, you probably did rinse it well. I was just trying to think of what may be the culprit. Does the OxyClean smell/taste similar?
Were the pads and filter near anything soapy in the closet?

Again, I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities. I wish you luck.

Stef57, Im guessing your using the buonvino mini jet? Personally I have definitely noticed that the mini jet can strip some flavor out of the wine. But generally that's with the # 2 pads & #1 especially, not the #3s. I have a few questions on your issue.

But first @vacuumpumpman Steve, you gotta let us trade in our minijets for a discount on the allinonewinepump! that thing looks awesome.

Ok Stef, back to the issue at hand. Did you bottle right after filtering? If so, give it a few weeks and try another bottle. Its recommended not to do that because the wine is in an agitated state at the time.

How long did you soak the pads/tampons for? (btw am I the only one that thinks its odd that it says tampons?) the company offers conflicting instructions of 1, 3 & 5 minutes of soak time. I usually opt for the 5 minutes. Also did you rinse the water from the pads by running the first bottle worth of wine into another container? this first amount is mixed with water from the pads soaking, and it really is a waste.

Was their iodophor in the hoses still? Although its no rinse, I believe that sanitizer should be dripped dry, but I've never used it. But its not supposed to have much of a taste so who knows.

Hope it works out for you.

Stef57, you probably did rinse it well. I was just trying to think of what may be the culprit. Does the OxyClean smell/taste similar?
Were the pads and filter near anything soapy in the closet?

Again, I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities. I wish you luck.

The pads were a couple years old, but still in the wrapper... the filter hadn't been used in probably over a year but i ran cleaner (oxyclean) through it then about 3 gallons of clean water, then sanitizer....

The OxyClean is pretty much odorless. For a taste comparison though, I am definitely willing to send you a bottle and a spoon full of Oxyclean.... you leet me know :s

Stef57, Im guessing your using the buonvino mini jet? Personally I have definitely noticed that the mini jet can strip some flavor out of the wine. But generally that's with the # 2 pads & #1 especially, not the #3s. I have a few questions on your issue.

Yes i am using the mini jet

But first @vacuumpumpman Steve, you gotta let us trade in our minijets for a discount on the allinonewinepump! that thing looks awesome.

I SECOND THAT!!! That machine does look awesome!

Ok Stef, back to the issue at hand. Did you bottle right after filtering? If so, give it a few weeks and try another bottle. Its recommended not to do that because the wine is in an agitated state at the time.

I did...
I filtered from the carboy straight into my bottling bucket then into bottles.. i have 27 bottles of this.... so I can try one every few weeks for the next 3 years in hopes it turns out;)

How long did you soak the pads/tampons for? (btw am I the only one that thinks its odd that it says tampons?) the company offers conflicting instructions of 1, 3 & 5 minutes of soak time. I usually opt for the 5 minutes. Also did you rinse the water from the pads by running the first bottle worth of wine into another container? this first amount is mixed with water from the pads soaking, and it really is a waste.

The pads were soaking while i was running the sanitizer though the system... i'm guessing about 5-7 minutes. and yes i do run the filter into a waste container until it looks like all the water is gone. About 1 bottle (750ml)

(btw am I the only one that thinks its odd that it says tampons?)
I'm with you man.... made me cringe a little

Was their iodophor in the hoses still? Although its no rinse, I believe that sanitizer should be dripped dry, but I've never used it. But its not supposed to have much of a taste so who knows.

Nope... not completely dry. I'm a bit lazy by nature... this is why i chose a no rinse sanitizer as my go to.... but again, never had a problem with this practice before

Lol Tampons! Am i missing the string on mine when im done filtering?

Well between the oxiclean, iodophor & agitation, Id say ur right on schedule. Give it some time & see how it tastes.
The minijet is good but can be annoying. First the cleaning & sanitizing of parts & the base doesnt come apart. whats with the metal rod in the intake hose? how about, they make it fit a racking cane? Then theres def a loss of wine. And i get annoyed waiting between filtering from #2 to #1 & also waiting at least a day before bottling.

How does one get the syphon hoses completely dry? Im like the 4th stooge using clothespins to keep them vertical but it never works.
Ok ive said my piece, i need a glass of wine....

Keep us updated Stef57 if & when the wine improves.

What did you soak the filter pads in?

I simply put the pads in my filter and suck a half-gallon of sulfited water through them. If you let them soak in cleaner, they might have picked up the taste from that.

And YES, the All in One wine pump is worth buying.

What did you soak the filter pads in?

I simply put the pads in my filter and suck a half-gallon of sulfited water through them. If you let them soak in cleaner, they might have picked up the taste from that.

I just soaked them in clean water..
I tried another wine tonight that i bottled about 3 weeks ago and ran through my filter and it too has the same soapy taste?!?!? it is not as strong but definitely there...
I don't get it??? maybe i don't let it run long enough to clean the water out? but i poor almost a full bottle down the drain...

I have a batch of Mango Pineapple ready for bottles. I'm gonna run 1/2 the batch through the filter and the other straight to bottles and see what happens.... if i can't figure this out, the damn thing will be for sale right away!!

And YES, the All in One wine pump is worth buying.

This wine pump does look very cool!! and I would love to get one... unfortunately, our loonie is worth crap right now and it would cost me $311CAD to get one :( which i certainly can't afford.... :mny:mny:mny

I just soaked them in clean water..
I tried another wine tonight that i bottled about 3 weeks ago and ran through my filter and it too has the same soapy taste?!?!? it is not as strong but definitely there...
I don't get it??? maybe i don't let it run long enough to clean the water out? but i poor almost a full bottle down the drain...

I have a batch of Mango Pineapple ready for bottles. I'm gonna run 1/2 the batch through the filter and the other straight to bottles and see what happens.... if i can't figure this out, the damn thing will be for sale right away!!

This wine pump does look very cool!! and I would love to get one... unfortunately, our loonie is worth crap right now and it would cost me $311CAD to get one :( which i certainly can't afford.... :mny:mny:mny

Do you bottle directly from the filter?

I quit doing that so that the first bottle's worth of filtered wine gets blended into the rest of the 29 or so bottles. No worries if there is a bit of water or sanitizing solution in it that way.

Do you bottle directly from the filter?

I quit doing that so that the first bottle's worth of filtered wine gets blended into the rest of the 29 or so bottles. No worries if there is a bit of water or sanitizing solution in it that way.

No, I filter to a bottling bucket, then to bottles
I first start the pump I a waste bucket/bottle. Run it until clear wine comes out (about 10 seconds) and throw it out. Works out to just under a full bottle usually

I've had it where one or two bottles from a batch were soapy tasting, and I've chalked it up to improper rinsing of those specific bottles. But again, that was only one or two in a batch.

The only other thing I can think of is your corks - did you do anything with them? (sanitizing, storing improperly, natural, synthetic, etc.)

The only other thing I can think of is your corks - did you do anything with them? (sanitizing, storing improperly, natural, synthetic, etc.)

My corks were about a year old. i just soak them in iodophor while I bottle. But the bottle in question was a clear beer bottle with a crown cap...

I did open a second bottle tonight and although the taste is still there and quite noticeable I don't think it's as strong as a couple days ago.
So hopefully, the wine was just agitated by the filtering and moving around while bottling?
I'll give it a couple weeks then try again

Stef57, I filter with mini jet into another demijohn & wait a few days before bottling. Its a pain but never had any issues with it.

Stef57, Im guessing your using the buonvino mini jet?

Yes that would be great but unrealistic

Stef57
I had the very same problem with mine and I came to the conclusion that it's cuz it remained idol for so long because joeswine never has had this problem in all the years he has used his BUT joeswine keeps his filter very busy! Throw those filters away that are a year old and run clean warm water through the filter 2 buckets or so to dislodge any of the soap or wine remnants then I would just sanitize with a k meta rinse, a bucket. I have thrown out 2 gallons of wine and 3 packs of pads away. I usually age and rack mine for so long that no filtering is needed but was filtering to enter contest. And you will be tempted to keep the filters (that's such a waste) but if you question this just soak them and smell them YUCK! Or you could save the money you spend on filters and buy an allinonewinepump from Steve good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back