Someone please explain Dragons Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburling

Reaction score
Having been on the forum for about 5 months now, I have seen numerous posts about DB. While I am intrigued and honestly thinking about making a batch, I have some concerns.

What is the flavor profile like? From the recipe, i figure it is something along the lines of a Boones Farm wine. Am i correct?

i mainly drink red wine so should i even consider this ?recipe,am thinking

Actually, I think it's better than Boone's Farm. It is refreshing. Kind of a fruity adult lemonade. Definitely not a serious red wine. But it has its place.

Think a fruity tom collins out by the pool. Not to drink with a hearty Italian meal or steak IMO.

It's cheap, light-bodied, fruity, unpretentious.

It is not a big red, not sophisticated, and does not taste like a traditional wine.

Ditto on all of the above! Women universally love it! It won a silver medal at the 39th Annual Craftmasters of LA Amateur Wine Competeion last year (mainly becasue two of the three judges were women!).

Call it a cheap silver medal wine to drink while your gold medal wines are aging. ;)

Thanks folks! I guess I will give it a shot and see if I can impress my wife. Lol

Just beware, you might not like it right away. I found it's better if it ages a little, even if just a month or so. I didn't like it at first, but I'm finding myself addicted to it now. I'm down to my last bottle, and I'm craving it, but don't want to drink it yet. I just bought a new carboy today, so I might need to start a new batch.

Thanks folks! I guess I will give it a shot and see if I can impress my wife. Lol

Just remember that if you are hoping or wanting a merlot or cab like wine, this is not it. I like the heavy reds, and I like dragon blood too. It is a different type. I usually tell people it is similar to a wine cooler on steroids(higher alcohol than wine cooler). The beauty of it is you can do so much with it. There are endless variations that can be made.
And like was said earlier, give it a month or two in the bottle and it is completely different than when bottled.

Just beware, you might not like it right away. I found it's better if it ages a little, even if just a month or so. I didn't like it at first, but I'm finding myself addicted to it now. I'm down to my last bottle, and I'm craving it, but don't want to drink it yet. I just bought a new carboy today, so I might need to start a new batch.

We just had this experience last night. 1 month ago at about 3 months of age, it was tart and too much berry flavor and I was going to dilute it, I just wasn't happy. I had altered Dave's recipe so I was paranoid to begin with. Had folks over last night, tried it again and we drank 2 liters of it. Hard to believe it was the same stuff.

We had 4 or 5 bottles of other wine open and the comment was made that db was different but just as good as anything else we were drinking.

I will be starting a new batch this week. My family loves it male and female.
Im only doing higher end kits and DB from here on out. I like mine after a couple month in the bottle myself! Hard to describe it but its definitely better then boons farm!! OR any of the store bought cheap fruity wines!!

I have tasted DD's DB and it compliments his label. Good stuff and easy to enjoy anytime.. Go for it!

for me its like a fruity kind of white zin, are a fruity blush.
excellent with fruit in the glass, and ice cold.
If not for me finding the DB recipe, I would not have made so much and so many wines.
Word of Caution,Caution,Caution............and mor caution.
If you wait for about a month...and try it.
You will make more>>>>period>>>>> lots more.

Agreed! I doubt boonsfarms drinkers would even be here to be honest!

I have to disagree that it does not go with a steak. My Black And Blue version is perfect with a good steak!

I will be starting a new batch this week. My family loves it male and female.
Im only doing higher end kits and DB from here on out. I like mine after a couple month in the bottle myself! Hard to describe it but its definitely better then boons farm!! OR any of the store bought cheap fruity wines!!

Tess,
I am doing the exact same thing.
High ends and DB/SP
My Cellar is going to have the extremes of the spectrum, classy high end stuff and inexpensive lemon/berry stuff.

As far as Boones goes, I drank it when I was younger, because the women always liked it.
I can remember in college we would chug the stuff (because we could). Boones was slightly flavored alcohol water!

Once I got older I no longer had a use for it.

Latest posts

Back