Someone please explain Dragons Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a kit in the wings, getting ready to start in a few days, and am thinking after that try making DB. It would be my first non-kit wine making experience.

Now please don't hate me for this but is there a more descriptive/less gross name to give this wine? Triple berry something or other? To me the name is cool but I wouldn't want to turn anyone off by referring to it as Dragon's Blood.

Thanx...

Last edited:
To vary things up a bit il also calling mine berry fusion I have a cosmopolitan type label for it.

Just for the heck of it, I googled dran's blood and one link was to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_blood
and now you know all about Dragon's Blood LOL

Here is an excerpt
In American Hoodoo, African-American folk magic, and New Orleans voodoo, it is used in mojo hands for money-drawing or love-drawing, and is used as incense to cleanse a space of negative entities or influences. It is also added to red ink to make "Dragon's Blood Ink", which is used to inscribe magical seals and talismans.[5]
In folk medicine, dragon's blood is used externally as a wash to promote healing of wounds and to stop bleeding. It is used internally for chest pains, post-partum bleeding, internal traumas and menstrual irregularities.[5]
In neopagan Witchcraft, it is used to increase the potency of spells for protection, love, banishing and sexuality. In New Age shamanism it is used in ceremonies in a similar way as the neopagans use it.[citation needed]
Dragon's blood incense is also occasionally sold as "red rock opium" to unsuspecting would-be drug buyers. It actually contains no opiates, and has only slight psychoactive effects, if any at all.[6]

Awesome, Grapeman! Thanks for that info. That was one of the reasons I called it "Dragon Blood" instead of Dragon's Blood. Trying to avoid confusion.

Alright, I get it now! I bottled my first batch of Dragons blood 2 weeks ago. Opened the first bottle tonight. Very nice surprise! My wife who is a red wine snob couldn't stop drinking it and commented that she thought it would be a great wine for summertime and vacation at the beach.

I'm converted and so is my wife. I see a second batch in the works very soon! Thanks Danger Dave!

Very good! Another convert! Welcome to the obsession. Some day, we'll have tee shirts. :db

I've got a kit in the wings, getting ready to start in a few days, and am thinking after that try making DB. It would be my first non-kit wine making experience.

Now please don't hate me for this but is there a more descriptive/less gross name to give this wine? Triple berry something or other? To me the name is cool but I wouldn't want to turn anyone off by referring to it as Dragon's Blood.

Thanx...

well, you could go back to it's origin. It evolved from Lon's "Skeeter Pee" into Dave's Dragon blood.
You could call it Triple berry Skeeter Pee.:try

Doug is absolutely right. Lon's recipe was a big inspiration for the DB recipe. I give him all the credit he deserves.

Back