Soda Bottle Storage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dessertmaker

Reaction score
Ready to free up this carboy, but no money for more glass bottles.

How bad of an idea would it be for me to sanitize 2 litre coca cola bottles and store my wine in them?

At least until I can empty a few glass Rossi bottles...

You talking the thin plastic coke bottles? I won't do it, you will oxidize the wine in a heartbeat.

Can you use empty wine bottles with balloons, if you don't have the appropriate sized bungs? I would only use the 2-3L soda pop bottles for a super super short interim and get them to appropriate containers ASAP. I used 1gallon apple juice jugs for about 3 days while the LHBS got what I needed in stock....wine was fine.

Dang. Guess my carboy will have to stay full until
somebody drinks a good 5 gallons of Rossi.

That should take like a whole DAY!

;-)

dessertmaker, do you not have any other access to jugs or bottles? Do you have a re-cycling center near you? Any bars, restaurants, malt shoppes, soda fountains, etc. that use glass jugs for syrups, toppings? I have found a lot of good glass jugs at garage sales, antique shops, craigs list, etc.

I scored a couple of cases of used wine bottles on Craigslist. Its worth a shot. We don't buy new bottles either. Just collect your own and have friends do the same.

Shoot, the biggest thing anywhere around here is wal mart. We barely have regular garbage pick up much less recycling. And half the people out here (myself included) would rather just burn everything than use the garbage pick up. (Actually I don't burn plastic or diapers.)

I could probably pick something up off of Craig's list in one of the big cities around here but I work rotating shifts, hunting season is about to
start and football is in full swing.

My stuff will have to sit there until we empty some big glass bottles of spiced cider or Carlo Rossi.

Back