SO2 testing for small batches of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
How important is SO2 testing if I am making wine from the grapes vines in my yard If:
1. I am making small batches, no more than one gallon to four gallons of wine.
2.It will be consumed less than six months after it is bottled.

3. what are some of the common variables that might determine this:
a. white wines
1. sweet versus dry
b. red wines
1. sweet versus dry
If the answer is yes to some of the above, is there an inexpensive way such as :
1. some additives I could buy online
2. some inexpensive kits which would work within reason
3.Inexpensive meters or equipment.

I have done a fair amount of reading but I need some guidance so I can continue on this journey.

I know I have asked a number of questions in the above so brief answers is understandable . Longer answers and I will be glad to add your name to my "Will"

I am a beginner

Thank You;)

What's with the concern for S02?

Yeast produces it when stressed, a good ferm and you have nothing to worry about.

The only test I use for SO2 is "can i smell it", no? Wine's all good.

If you can smell it, splash rack and let it sit, it'll go away (never had to, never smelled it).

Last edited by a moderator:
I grow my grapes and test so2 especially with whites. I just like knowing its in there and protecting my wine. So i test to
A. Know its there
B. Know how much to put in or NOT.

I capitalized the word-not because sometimes ive tested a wine at racking and it did not need an so2 addition, but if i just blindly added so2 there would have been too much! I like to add as little as possible and testing allows me to do that.

The only drawback is when making just one gallon you need at least 25ml for an so2 test using the vinmetrica, which is a bummer. You could always add a campden tablet before ferment, after and then everyother racking i guess, but i feel more comfy knowing whats in my vino before i add anything.

As for you other questions, whites are verh sensitive to oxidative browning so ya gotta be careful with those as far as making sure there is so2 protecting her wine, reds are less sensitive. Sweet vs. Dry has nothing to do with it really imo.

As for testing methods i think there is a cheap ripper method which i dont think is very accurate. The morewine! Economy aeration oxidation set up for $99. Or the vinmetrica, which is just gnarly! For about $245. Ouch, buuuuut worth it!

Hope this helps, good luck

Yeast produces it when stressed, a good ferm and you have nothing to worry about.

If you can smell it, splash rack and let it sit, it'll go away (never had to, never smelled it).

Lizerd, are you speaking of H2S, rather than SO2?

I think you are thinking of hydrogen sulfide - that is something that is a byproduct of stressed yeast but SO2 is sulfur dioxide and that is something that you add when you add K-meta. You can smell SO2 but it smells more like burning matches than rotten eggs. In high concentrations it burns your eyes and scratches your throat (not literally, just feels like that). In many food products sulfates are added to increase the shelf life of the package or bottle, but many people say they are sensitive to sulfates and avoid eating or drinking food with those preservatives added.

The K-meta acts to protect the wine from oxidation and I think winemakers aim to have something like 50 gms /L of free (unbound) SO2 in the wine and this free SO2 dissipates over time , so every two or three months until bottling people often rack their wines onto K-meta. Corinth's question was if he is making small batches and the batches are not going to be aged for any serious length of time but drunk fairly soon after fermentation is done does he need to worry about protecting the wine from oxidation.

Vernsgal: I tried to go to the Canadian Website but got lost! When you stated you used the "first one" was that the Canadian website? Could you help some more?
I added your links to the links below.

Poni: thanks for the advice. I will add it to my growing notebooks and books on winemaking. You summarized what to me is a complex issue into terms that I could understand.

Accuvin:I have read several reviews on amazon and some other websites and some folks like it and some folks do not but it is inexpensive.

Several people mention "expiration date?". I have no idea what that is other than it appears to talk about the actual chemicals? It that what they mean by "regeants?"One review actually said not to buy from Midwest Brewing.

The Vinmetrica SO2 analyzer kit I have read a lot of good stuff about but that is too much money for this beginner. I live in California and my property taxes are going to kill me!

The Economy Aeration oxidation free so2 test kit from Morewine is relatively inexpensive. I have never seen that one before but then again, I am a rookie. Anyone have an opinion about it?

So, I seem to be getting closer to an answer to my question:

First, seems to be if I want to buy one, go ahead and learn as you go.

Second, It may not be necessary since I make so little wine and it is consumed quickly.

If anyone would be so kind to continue to share with me your thoughts, I would appreciate it as you know considerably more than this beginner.

You folks state the facts in terms that I can wrap my head around. Most of what I have read spend a lot of time discussing the merits but do not make distinctions as it relates to someone such as myself versus an actual winery(that should be a clue right there).

Below ,I have posted the websites that several of you have mentioned for the products

http://morewinemaking.com/products/economy-aerationoxidation-free-so2-test-kit.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OFVGE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34CJOU4NJIHYU

http://www.amazon.com/Vinmetrica-SO2-Analyzer-Kit/dp/B0064OPMEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385143441&sr=8-1&keywords=vinmetrica+so2+analyzer+kit

http://www.amazon.com/Vinmetrica-SO2-Analyzer-Kit/dp/B0064OPMEA

If wanting to test your SO2 relatively in expensive you can order a test kit online
http://ecom.bosagrape.com/search.php?mode=search&page=2
*this is a Canadian site
If you don't mind spending more try
http://www.accuvin.com/
Then for even more there's the Vinmetrica kit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OPMEA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use the 1st one when in doubt and works fine. Just watch the expiration date

I have found the Accuvin kit difficult to read. I splurged and bought the vinometric S02 probe. I made a standard curve of various concentrations of S02 and found the probe to be spot on. Not so with the test strips.

Oh, Accuvin!
I saw it listed in amazon. I think it is a bit cheaper--I think, I just looked. not much. it goes for $30.00

Latest posts

Back