SO2 tester

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm new at this, I bought a apera ph60 ph tester last week I also wanted to buy a so2 tester just wondering if I should spring 200 more for the sc300 or get the sc100a any suggestions would be great and is ta real important

Hi I'm new at this, I bought a apera ph60 ph tester last week I also wanted to buy a so2 tester just wondering if I should spring 200 more for the sc300 or get the sc100a any suggestions would be great and is ta real important

Emphasis on TA varies- but definitely something you wanna be aware of. Either way both meters will test for TA the same. I recently went from the Milwaukee ph55 to the sc300. Definitely was a big upgrade. The Vinmetrica calibrates much quicker, holds much longer, stabilizes much quicker when testing, and has a convenient storage bottle.
But the apera ph60 looks legit. And even comes with a case and also has storage bottle. Looks like to go sc300 vs sc100 + apera ph60 is roughly $100 more.

IMO you can’t make a wrong decision here

So if you have a good pH meter, I think an SC100 is likely enough. I have a Extech pH220c pH meter. It's easy to calibrate and easy to use. I can run TA measurements in about 5 minutes or less. But just a pH meter is not enough. So you need an SO2 meter too. My understanding that a Vinmetrica SC300 is basically an SO2 meter with a pH meter tagged along. I'd rather keep measurements separate. That way if one side goes bad, you don't need to replace the whole expensive unit.

You are asking should you get a pH meter that can beep? , , for $200

Have used the 300 and had problems with the connection for the probe, , I vote for redundancy like @CDrew Having used pH in The lab and pilot plant I found all the modern ones held calibration versus the old tube ones. The big improvement was gel filled probes which is standard today.

The justification for spending more at vinmetrica might be do you want to run DO?

I've been sort of building my own setup bit by bit. I currently have a stand, burette, magnetic stirrer, air pump setup and all the tubing and glassware. And chemicals. All I really need now is a better pH probe... I'd like a combo-probe (temp+pH) for simplicity and ease of putting into the glassware, and something I can put in its own stand to hold the probe. Really the only solution I've found is the Apera PH700

a better pH probe... I'd like a combo-probe (temp+pH) for simplicity and ease of putting into the glassware, and something I can put in its own stand to hold the probe. Really the only solution I've found is the Apera PH700
@sremick If you like the Apera go with it.

I chose Extech. To me the deciding factor for home was small sample, , as low as a drop of juice or wine. The glass bulb is flat which means it would be resistant to magnetic stirrers. It also reads temp/ most meters have automatic temp compensation. Extech Will stand by itself in a 150 ml beaker. Sensing head is replaceable and I also have one for conductivity.
The big compromise is I have to pay attention with titration, , it doesn’t beep at me.

Latest posts

Back