SO2 smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
I have a WE Selection malbec that I am ready to bottle after 6 mos. of bulk aging. I tested the sulfite with a Vinmetrica SC-100; my free SO2 was 32 ppm. The wine still has a sulfite smell to me. Will that smell go away after a few months in the bottle. I read that around 30 ppm is a proper amount for most red wines. Thanks!

You could splash rack if you are in a hurry to bottle. I would suggest just letting it age for a while longer and retest it. I will dissipate out.

You could have a nose that is sensitive to SO2 (like mine). SO2 levels are dependent on pH as well. If the pH is in the low (3.2-3.3 range) you could get away with 20-25ppm free SO2. It will dissipate over time even in the bottle (albeit at a much slower rate) or by letting the wine breath for awhile after you open the bottle.

Your call on when to bottle.

I should probably get a good pH meter. Any idea on the normal ballpark pH of kit wines?

For a red I have seen anywhere from 3.2-3.4 but just that small change in pH will vary the SO2 levels quite a bit. A good pH meter is for sure your friend in this hobby errr obsession! :sm

A 2 point calibration metter with 2 decimals is really what is needed to get good accuarcy.

Back