SO2 levels during bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
Hello,
I just started my bulk aged WE Cab_Sav. in two (3) - gal. glass carboys with water seals filled with vodka. I plan on leaving the wine in the carboys for approx. 6 months before bottling. I followed all of the WE instructions during the making of the wine. Any suggestions for this part would be more than welcomed.

Do I need to check my SO2 level each month before I bottle? If so, how do I do that and lastly what should my 'readings' be ?

Thank you,
Tony

Assuming you added the package of sulfite already that came with the kit, add 1/4-1/8 tsp every 4 months. There are inexpensive test kits but most all of us have found them to be inaccurate and not worth the money spent.

Assuming you added the package of sulfite already that came with the kit, add 1/4-1/8 tsp every 4 months. There are inexpensive test kits but most all of us have found them to be inaccurate and not worth the money spent.

Yes, I followed the WE instructions to a 'tee'. Should I forget buying the SO2 kit?
Is it 1/4 tsp. / gallon or per the entire 3 gal. carboy?

Thank you,
Tony

I would save the money, the 1/4-1/8 is for 6 gallons so split the dose between the two 3G carboys. Make sure they are both topped off within 2-3 inches with a similar wine.

bulk aging over 6 months i would insert solid bung, unless risk/gamble is on your agenda...on the good side though you could see a reduction that may enhance your wine

secondly..if 2-3 hundred is in your budget, look at the vinmetrica website and order there sulfite tester..i am very happy w it

I would save the money, the 1/4-1/8 is for 6 gallons so split the dose between the two 3G carboys. Make sure they are both topped off within 2-3 inches with a similar wine.

I use Vodka for topping. I've read that this is acceptable. True?

Does the Vodka evaporate slower than water/kmeta? I'm going to Fl. for 2 months & concerned about my 3 pc. air locks going dry. Inside humidity is very low 38-40%, this time of year. Roy [ should this be posted else where?]

Not sure myself as Ive never used it or did a side by side but would imagine the vodka would dissipate faster as alc usually does. Maybe its only at higher levels of abv though.

Does the Vodka evaporate slower than water/kmeta? I'm going to Fl. for 2 months & concerned about my 3 pc. air locks going dry. Inside humidity is very low 38-40%, this time of year. Roy [ should this be posted else where?]

I have never used vodka in my airlocks but I have used rum. I use the s-type airlock, and have let them sit for half a year or more without them going dry. Arne.

Hi Tony! I'm a little confused about your topping comment. Were you talking about airlocks or topping up the two carboys with vodka? :?

Hi Tony! I'm a little confused about your topping comment. Were you talking about airlocks or topping up the two carboys with vodka? :?

I got the same impression by that post. It'll be a good wine by the time it's done :d

My question was about topping off the carboy with Vodka. But since you asked, I also do put vodka in my 3 piece airlock. I was told that the vodka would evaporate slower than water in the airlock.

Thank you,
Tony

Vodka in airlocks is okay although I use a K-meta solution. I don't think I'd top up a Cabernet with vodka though. I think it would ruin the Cabernet's flavor profile. I'd use a similar or same wine to top it up with. Good Luck!

Back