So I think I already screwed up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
:mI added 5 crushed campden tablets to my 5 gal pail of frozen Sang. grapes because I was concerned about it growing something not wanted while I waited for it to warm up...but I was assuming I would do MLF after it had fermented dry. So should I forget the MLF on this batch and just hope the acid is not bad?

The batch is starting at Brix 24, pH of 3.1 and TA at 6.8 g/L.

TIA, Paul

You are fine as that is pretty much proper procedure. Just make sure that you know you will have to add a wine yeast now to get it started which IMO is the better way to go and more likely hat your wine will finish fermenting properly. If still concerned when fermentation is almost done use a ML bacteria that has higher S02 tolerances like Lalvin VP41
http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/16520//Dry_Malolactic_Bacteria_-_VP41_2.5_g

By the time the grapes are done fermenting and pressed (or bag squished and drained) you will have very little S02 left in the wine. As long as you don't add more before mlf, you will be fine.

Is it correct that MLF typically raises the pH a little bit while reducing TA? That ought to be good for this batch of grapes right? Thanks, Paulc

Yeah, but it doesnt always raise Ph as even though they are directly related ph and ta dont always oppose each other in the same amount meaning the ph may change just a little while the other changes much more but in theory yes, it is a good candidate although what you are really changing is malic acid, not tartaric acid so depending how much of that TA is malic you may not even need to do MLF.

I guess there is no easy, inexpensive way to test for malic vs tartaric?

Paul

Accuvin is an inexpensive way but not super accurate. A Chromotography test is the best way. Below is a link to how to do it from a supplier who is good but isnt a sponsor here which I usually dont do but I must admit thie site is probably the most informative as fas as telling you what the stuff is for and how to use the stuff.
http://morebeer.com/public/wine/Product Directions/MLchroma.pdf

Latest posts

Back