so I screwed up...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never made this kit. I'm just glad you didn't give up. Also interested in your outcome. If you run into anything I'm sure someone will help you along.:h I may try this one myself, the local winery has sold out on this wine apparently it's the rave around here.

The SG won't go a whole lot lower but give it time to try.

So, 4 days later and there's been no effective movement of the SG. How long do you wait? Is there a remedy, or do you just move to the next step?

And because I still haven't figured out the science-y part of this yet, what exactly does it mean that the SG has stalled?

So, 4 days later and there's been no effective movement of the SG. How long do you wait? Is there a remedy, or do you just move to the next step?

And because I still haven't figured out the science-y part of this yet, what exactly does it mean that the SG has stalled?

I went back and re-read the whole post, so it sounds like you have two partially filled carboys with wine, and some extra in another container, all at around 1.002 - 1.004, pretty much not fermenting an longer. If you are OK with a slightly sweet wine, you can move on to the next step, which is degassing / stabilizing and clearing, but I'd wait a few more days before you do it, just to make sure that the SG doesn't continue to drop. Then:

Mix the batches together as best you can, as one is strong, the other weak, I'm not sure about the third vessel, but mix 'em up!

Fill your two carboys, but not all of the way to the tip top, leave room for degassing and clearing agents. Keep the leftovers in a third vessel.

Add/mix your KMS and Sorbate (you'll need sorbate since you're not dry) and degas the carboys using whichever method you prefer.

If you have sufficient wine left in the third vessel, you can try to save it, it'll need the right amount of KMS and Sorbate. You'll probably use all of your clearing agents in the carboys, but it'll clear on its own, just more slowly. Cap it and shake it a few times to degas it. Take the cap off and airlock it.

Once the carboys are degassed, add/mix clearing agents in both carboys, using wine from the third vessel, top up the two carboys to within 2" of the bungs/airlocks, and set them aside to clear. Put your "extra" wine in an appropriate sized container with little headspace.

Now you wait.

When the carboys are clear and ready to be racked, do so, and use the clear wine from the third vessel to top up.

Were I in your shoes, that's the path I would follow, assuming that my understanding of where you are is correct.

Johnd, thanks. I'll probably wait until Saturday to check it again, and then proceed.That was generally my plan, nice to have some confirmation. The sweeter side will help it be consumed, anyway. :)

Easter Sunday update:

No SG movement at all since last time. I stirred both carboys thoroughly, and mixed them back into the buckets as equally as possible, along with the extra container. After mixing into the buckets, both buckets were at about the 5 1/2 gallon marks.

Do you lose volume during the 1st and 2nd stage? Just curious.

Regardless, I have come to the conclusion that my 6 gallon glass carboys are actually, in fact, 5 gallons. (I inherited them, and made an assumption. My bad.) As I then returned them back into the carboys, along with the stage 3 additives for fining and clarifying, as well as the F-pack (which I assume is some back sweetener?). Both carboys are topped to within an inch of the bung. I still had just over a gallon left over.

SG of both carboys after all mixing and additives was 1.013.

I have one gallon of stage 2 in another jug on the side, no additives or sweeteners added to it. (Just realized I didn't take a SG reading. Not sure it matters, but will probably check it later tonight or tomorrow.)

Sounds like you're right on track. Yes, you will lose volume at your upcoming rackings as you siphon off the clear wine and leave your lees behind. That's where your gallon jug of excess will come in handy. Keep us posted with your progress.

Bottled this evening. Total yield was 56 1/2 bottles. SG at time of bottling was 1.01 @ 76°F.

Flavor was a bit "rough/raw", but it's 6 weeks old. Drank a bottle to two worth while bottling, two more in the fridge that were cloudy. Wife had about 12-16 oz and was a bit swimmy, so it has some alcohol content.

Not as sweet as I expected. But I have high hopes it will age well and be better in a month and more.

Thanks to everyone who provided above, taken or not.

Latest posts

Back