So how bad is this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woadie

Junior
Reaction score
While making my first batch I may have made a grave error...

I am working with a Vintner's Reserve World Vineyard Collection Trinity Red kit. I think I did everything right in the primary fermentation stage but upon checking on it I noticed that the grommet on my lid is missing.

My only guess is that it popped out while I was putting on the airlock which would mean it is probably in my must.

Should I try to go in and fish it out? My directions said specifically to not stir it once the yeast was added... which is worse, upsetting the mix or having rubber in it? (seems like a stupid question, but i really don't know)

as a side note.
i started at a 1.92 sg and a temp of 65. gonna try to bring the temp up if i can and hoping the sg was ok even though it was on the upper threshold of what the instructions said...

Welcome to the forum woadie. I'm a newbie alsobut I would probably get another grommet or rig something up until you rack. It would be pretty difficult to fish that out.

thats a tough one, but i think i read on this forum somewhere someone said to sanitize your arm good and fish it out. i did the same thing only it didnt make it into the must, you really dont have to jam the airlock in there just snug.

Just leave it in there until you rack into the carboy, then dig it out of the sediment.

A rubber grommet isn't going to hurt a thing.

Don't worry about stirring the must. That is only so that the fermentation gets off to a good start. Stirring it might slow it a bit, but it should go anyway.Edited by: whino-wino

thanks to everyone for the welcomes and replies.

it's not leaking since the grommet was from the lid, but i guess a little air is able to get in and out. that shouldn't be a problem though considering plenty of air is getting in when i check the sg anyways.

i was more concerned about the rubber being in the must, but if that's nothing to worry about then i'm all set....until i somehow mess up on the next step of course...

that being said, how would one hypothetically sanitize your arm? the c-brite i'm using says to avoid skin contact, is that only before it's diluted with water?

Woadie,
welcome to the forum.

As the wine is fermenting, and please bring that temp up!, it will be outgassing and does not need to be sealed! After you transfer your wine to the carboy, you can take the grommet out of the sediment at that time.

Don't worry about it. Wine is VERY resilient to mistakes, and this is quite a minor one.

Again, welcome to the club here.

To help reassure you, there are dozens of instances of members here doing the exact same thing with the rubber grommets from the lids. Like others said, just leave the grommet in there until transfer. Try out the search feature if you are curious- a great tool. Type in grommet , select all forums and change the time to anytime. It will bring up a list of like posts. This is useful for all sorts of subjects.

Welcome to our little forum and here's wishing you great sucess with all your wine.

Also try wetting thestem of airlock before twisting it into the grommet.
smiley2.gif

Woadie, what Appleman said. I think all of us have done that at least once. I did it with a red merlot, and couldn't even see it.
smiley9.gif
The wine was fine.
smiley1.gif

I did it on the first batch I made, it wasa Chianti with raisins, and it actually floated to the top of the must with the raisins. I asked the same question and was given many assurances that it was no big deal.

I too am a member of the grommet in the first batch club. I put some sterile gauze in the grommet hole and my Pinot Noir turned out fine.

I have found the easiest way is to put the airlock in the lid before you put it on the primary fermentor than fill it with water. I pushed mine in my first batch also.

hmm. yep. I think that rubber is going to give the wine a bad taste and needs to come out pronto. Mirimar77 does what I also do, put in the airlock first.

I have never heard of a single instance of the tiny rubber(actually neoprene) grommet causing any off flavors when accidentally introduced into the primary. I would worry more about contaminating the wine or spilling it by trying to retrieve such a small item. You generally rack out of primary within a week, so my vote is to leave it there until first racking.

I dont believe that the little grommet will do any harm at all for that short time period or even left in there for the whole fermentation, the gum stopper bungs on the other hand would in my opinion and should be retrieved within 3 days in my opinion. Welcome Meadlips and Mirimar77!

Back