SNOW!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love a white Birch tree in the winter........... the tree disappears into the snowy background, leaving the darker smaller branches to seemingly just hang in the air........ with grace.........

I miss a white birch tree. Down here all we can get is what they call a river birch...... Which is a white birch with a severe sun tan.

Mowed my lawn for the first time (of many) this year..............

I love the smell of freshly mowed grass.

Peach trees are blossoming out as well as the raspberries, plum trees, crabapple and pear trees. Also got my first asparagus shoot coming up!

Looks like spring has sprung here.

Jobe! Come here! Get your ear down next to the monitor. Come on! Closer... closer... ***WACK!***
smiley7.gif
Now, be quiet!

And to think as I shoveled the drive after getting home from work I told my wife I would much rather be mowing the lawn...smack him again please PWP!
smiley36.gif

I was working on a smack from Joan............

Guess she's to busy shoveling snow right now.....
smiley36.gif

Thats why I moved from the north...... I hate the long winters. Beautiful place in the summer, doesn't get any better....... but not the winters.

Edited by: jobe05

20080309_171117_000_0117_Small.jpg

20080309_171303_000_0118_Small.jpg

Thought I would double check in case I was dreaming...nope, cant get the mower through the front or back yard..but at least Snow Plow Harry has cleaned up the road a bit
smiley36.gif

Just a bit south of us the rain stayed rain and froze on everything making an icy mess. We got sleet they got freezing rain and this is what happened- sorta like Poor Joan....
20080310_063009_Ice_Medium.jpg

I got about 4" of snow on Friday - they let us go home an hour early. Most of it melted off Saturday and Sunday. Supposed to be 60F today. (Leaning into monitor for a smack each from PWP and Joan.)

********WHACK********
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif

There! Have one from me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif

I hope you have a nice spring soon Peter. How's the new house treating you guys?

Boy, you guys go hammered with ice and snow....

Same old crap here.....Sunny and bright and not warm enough to melt...

Don't need anymore snow...we still have a lot of old snow....The first snow we got this winter never melted....it just stayed, and stayed and stayed.

Might get rain by Wednesday.

We are hoping for a new season someday.

Some of it melted today so that was good, the temp is supposed tobe around 50* tomorrow so that should help.

Scuba

Well............. As long as I'm getting smacked around anyways.........

I thought I would share a few pics from around my yard this evening.........

My Crabapple trees are starting to leaf out. I planted these last summer and after planting they (2 of them) started to bloom out. I picked the blossoms off, but I don't think they will blossom this year, which is fine, they need some time to adapt:

20080310_155553_0056.JPG

The plum tree's are starting to bloom out. I have 3 of these trees in the yard:
20080310_160020_0058.JPG

Peach trees are starting to open up a few blossoms. I have 5 of these trees in my yard and are very pretty when they are in full bloom:

20080310_160259_0059.JPG

Mutt and Jeff have been trimmed and are starting bud swell, so they have a couple more weeks. Along with the other 8 Muscadines I have along the fence and the 3 table grapes that I have.

20080310_160605_0061.JPG

There are a few of the arden plants peaking through the soil:

Asparagus:
20080310_160814_0064.JPG

Broccoli Rob:

20080310_160942_0065.JPG

And the spinach:

20080310_161118_0066.JPG

Rhubarb thats starting to poke through:

20080310_161257_0071.JPG

Raspberries are starting to get some green peaking out:

20080310_161451_0072.JPG

Elderberry's are starting to leaf out as well. These (2) are the Wildwood's that I got from that lady in Kansas last year. I trimmed them back this year to see if they would fill in some more this year and I think they will. I also took the trimmings and stuck them in the ground and they seem to be doing well also....... Might have more of these next year than I can handle.

20080310_161923_0075.JPG

The pear tree's are starting to get bud break and shud be in full bloom by next weekend:

20080310_162127_0076.JPG

And last but not least, is the newest addition to my yard, 2 Cortland Apple trees. I love Cortland Apples and can never find them down here. I was very pleased to find these 2 trees at a local nursery. They are starting to get fuzz on the tips so it looks like they will be leafing out soon. any apples this year will be picked off so the roots can get a good foot hold first:

20080310_162459_0067.JPG

And last but not least.......... My 2 yard play mates........:

20080310_162641_0031.JPG

You make a whole bunch of labels for a guy and this is what you get.
smiley6.gif

You get a vision............ of what life could be like...... will be like in just a few short weeks..........

It doesn't seem to matter when the bloom comes on, we all seem to reap the rewards around the same time of year........

Yummmmmm....I can smell spring just by looking at your photos....Love seeing the asparagus poking through...our favorite and first taste of spring.

Thanks for sharing them.

We are very optimistic that spring will arrive someday....usually by now we have had some snow melt and some signs of spring...Not this year....been winter for months now and no let up...but it will come...Hopefully soon and fast.

I gave away my saved-seed collection and it made space on my plant stand....so today I cleaned off the stand...will relocate the geranium, Black Currant cuttings and Louise Swenson grapes and start some garden flower seeds as well as the peppers/eggplant and few other vegetables real soon.....Then will really be in the spring mode.....

Would love to be outside digging in the dirt, or mud...but in the meantime take what we get....bright sunny days that hopefully will warm up soon.

Thanks again for the first signs of spring.

joeswine said:
I got sunshine today! But, there's not too much joy here. The wind out of the south blew the snow across the road, icing over what had been dry this morning, and driving on the east/west highway was NOT a good time tonight! I don't think it will be much fun in the morning, either...
smiley19.gif

Latest posts

Back