smokey reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakedwino

Junior
Reaction score
quick question. I am using a kit from Wonder Wines, which i have never used before. I want to give the red a smokey flavor. Would adding liquid smoke be an interesting way to go?

Thanks
Robert

Anything is worth a try but i might suggest some heavy toasted oak chips. At least those you can take out once you get the flavor close to where you want it. Liquid smoke may ruin the whole batch, or it might turn out good. How much of a gambler are you? :)

quick question. I am using a kit from Wonder Wines, which i have never used before. I want to give the red a smokey flavor. Would adding liquid smoke be an interesting way to go?

Thanks
Robert

Robert, it would be interesting yes, but not my preference. I'm not big on adding flavors, preferring to get them naturally. Also, adding flavor may be difficult to control.

In the case of smokey flavor, I think you're referring to something you'd get from oak, specifically toasted oak. Oak comes in many forms: chips, cubes, sticks, spirals, for example. Try one and taste the wine from week to week until you have what you want.

I am pretty sure I remember reading on the beer forum about someone who tried liquid smoke. I think it ruined their beer. You might want to search over at homebrewtalk.com. those guys like to try all sorts of different things.

I just cannot believe they have been selling these $5 packets of freeze dried fruit powder for 40 years. I wonder what 'flavour crystals' are?

This is what you are talking about...www.wonderwine.com?

I'd vote heavy toasted oak. Even the BBQ afficianadoes stay away from Liquid Smoke. If you oak it in secondary, taste test every few days so you don't over-oak.

Still want to try LS? Fill a wine glass with similar wine and put in one drop. If you like the taste, go for it.

Latest posts

Back