Small Batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
What do you use to ferment small batches ( Gallon Recipes) in. Are Tupperware containers suitable?

You should be able to use any food-safe plastic container as long as IT HAS NEVER BEEN USED FOR ANYTHING ELSE. EVER. VIRGIN MATERIAL. So, call your Tupperware dealer, go to your local MegaMart but whatever you do, don't use something that's been marinating meat!
smiley11.gif
Unless you're looking for a smokey wine!
smiley2.gif

I just use my big plastic fermenter and haven't had a problem. I do have a small one that I got with my fruit kit but it isn't big enough. I just watch the specific gravity and transfer it to glass as soon as it is ready so the must isn't left with the big airspace in the in the primary.

I have a gallon of blueberry fermenting right now in the big one.

Ramona

Well, as a newbie, I have decided to make only 1 or 2 gallon batches. I went to my local water supply store and bought a 3 gallon #7 plastic water jug. Looks like a glass carboy, but plastic. I will use that then trasnfer to my new 3 gallon glass carboy that I got from George.

Thanks guys/gals...

Ramona, how many blueberries for a gallon?

How much yeast?

Good evening Waldo,

Well, I'm pretty new at the fruit wines. I probably used about 2-3 lbs for a gallon. Don't have a scale so I used the blueberries in onehand and a 4lb bag of sugar in the other methodand guestimated. But it doesn't have to be exact. You may want a little more fruit for more body in your wine. I used the recipe on the website here. Just click on recipes. I have some apricot rose in the process of clearing now too so I'm anxious to try that and see how it is going...may give it a taste test here this evening. Ramona

I would use at least 2 pounds for a light-bodied wine, but 3 pounds for a rich, heavier wine. I made a blueberry which was light-bodied, and I think I prefer the heavier ones. Waldo, you look like a guy who likes the heavier bodied ones too, so I'd go for the 3 pounds per gallon.

Hmmmmmmm !!! Waldo !!! Heavier Bodied !!! Methinks I have been cut!!ROFLMAO
smiley36.gif

Another..."True Newbie" question.....On the airlocks, are you supposed to leave the little red caps on them while in use?

Yes.

Waldo, if you are planning on doing alot of experimenting with small batches, do yourself a huge favor. Start drinking Riunite or other cheap wines in those 4 liter jugs. Save all the jugs for your 1 gallon batches. Start the batches slightly larger than 1 gallon and use the 4 liter jugs for secondary vessels and also for bulk aging and storage. You can find new sanitizable and reusable caps for them. I bet George can get them. Leave an inch airspace in them, whether using a bung and airlock or a cap. Store the capped jugs upright in the same conditions you would store any wine in corked bottles. Before you know it, you will have plenty of homemade jug wine to open and show off when relatives and friends visit, such as a big Christmas dinner.

smiley20.gif

Dang....Wonder if George sells them little red caps. I think i chunked mine.

I got a pretty good supply of gallon jugs Hippie so i think I will leave the Riunite alone. Gives me a headache
smiley18.gif

I have a nice little collectionof gallon jugs now, from George. They are hard to find now since everything is in plastic. Someone told me that you can find them in antique stores.....guess they are becoming antiquated.

Ramona

The 4 liter Riunite is still sold in dark glass jugs. The headache might be from too much sulphite they use because of low alcohol.

The caps I am thinking of are black plastic with a removable poly liner that seals really well and is reusable.

smiley20.gif

Nope. The best airlocks are the 3-piece. They are easier to clean, fill, and empty, and will not easily allow suck-back when a low pressure system rolls through. I have a couple of the 'S' types if you want them. (plastic)

Latest posts

Back