Small Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehlenrg

Junior
Reaction score
I managed to harvest a small amount (6#) of grapes from my backyard vines this year. The grapes are King of the North planted 2 years ago. I'd like to see if I can ferment whatever small amount of juice I get. I've got a Sauvinah blanc kit that I thought I'd start and then pull off a cup or so of the must from the primary to add to the grape juice to get that started at the same time. I'd also use an appropriate amount of yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme plus treat the juice with bisulfite first. Has anyone tried this? I could get more grapes and make a normal batch but these being my first grapes I'd kind of like them to stand alone.

Did you do an acid test or check the PH and what was the starting SG.....Other than that GO FOR IT....Sounds like it could be fun to try your own grapes...GOOD LUCK..
smiley20.gif

I agree with Bert. Get the brix and pH at least of the juice. TA would also be nice. If nice and ripe, you should get about 1.5-2 quarts of juice from the grapes. You could ferment with the skins after destemming to ge better body and tannins. Give it a shot. It will still be bigger than Bilbo got last year- so go for it.
http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1414&PN=11

Will do on the Brix and acid and thanks for the link. Looks like Bilbo and I have a similar mindset.

Latest posts

Back