WineXpert Slow to clear?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a WE kit so per the directions the next step is bottling, but I'm considering racking again and bulk aging for a few months. When I started I picked a white for my first kit because I thought I would be impatient about the aging, and just wanted a quick drinking Barefoot or Yellow Tail equivalent table wine, but now I'm rethinking that idea...

Top up.....ESPECIALLY if bulk aging. I did the same thing and bought a 12l cru international kit for quick drinking. Now i am wanting to do the large kits.

So I topped up, and the wine has cleared. Now the decision to bulk age or bottle!

I would let it bulk age some.....if you can. Easier said than done!

So here is the progress, looks almost cleared! I was wondering if had degassed it enough but it looks like I have. I also topped up with 2 bottles of decent NZ sauv. Blanc, but even with that it only increased the volume to just above the shoulder, should I add more or call it good? Seems odd to me to top up with a wine I didn't make but maybe I'm overthinking it...
If you've added 2 bottles of wine to that carboy, I'm a little concerned that either you came up a little short when reconstituting the kit, or you're racking left behind a good bit of wine. It might be worth checking your line on your primary fermenter to be sure it actually is 23litres (6US gallons), and keep taking liquid from the primary 'till it plugs the siphon. Sometimes (when the lees are very uncooperative) I even strain the remains and get another litre.

Get it topped up to within the narrow neck of the carboy for bulk aging. I know its painful to mix commercial wine into your own creation but its necessary to get rid of the headspace. In time you will have your own wine to use for this purpose. Alternately, you could use clear glass marbles to take up the headspace or rack into a smaller carboy. Cheers...

So I topped up, and the wine has cleared. Now the decision to bulk age or bottle!

If you can bulk age for three months, then you'll be pleased. If you do more, add potassium metabisulfite powder at 1/4 teaspoon per six gallons every three months. Most folks also rack at the three month points.

Thanks for all the input! I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge and support from this forum. I've decided to bulk age for 3 months; wineh, I followed the directions exactly and didn't leave any wine in the primary, maybe it's the 6.5 gallon carboy that has extra volume? Scram, I know what you mean and I guess I've thought about it from a mathematic standpoint and I'm now ok with adding commercial wine. I only added 10% of the total volume. soon I will have some stock to top up with. Thanks again to all who have helped with my first batch. Here's a pic of the sauv. Blanc with my newly finished DB!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back