Slow posting and sending PM's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Is this just me recently as I have anew wireless router or is anyone else having trouble. I have to stop and hit resend cause its just getting stuck but everything is going great.

Thanks Wade, I have been having the same problem. I also just switched from DSL (equal to 56K) to Roadrunner Turbo speed (which equals 256K now) I have to hit the post button several times when posting. Not a problem logging in, going from topic t topic, just posting. I would say, 1 to 2 minutes to go trough.

Note: It took 1 minute 15 seconds for this to post after hitting the post button.
Edited by: jobe05

I guess they are still using telegraph lines in your part of the country. We're zooming along faster than I can type down here in Texas.

Up here on the far reaches of the prairie, where our county is 1,675 square miles andthe countypopulationis 10,155, we're zipping along on the internet highway, not a problem at all. Wade, you need to get yourself moved to civilization!
smiley36.gif

I have absolutely no problem with any thing else including(The Other Forum). I can download songs and open pages with ease. I have high speed cable. Its just posting and sensing a PM!

Wade please check the amount of messages in your inbox and if it is nearly full this could be the issue. I have not seen any slowdown at all in the forum or PM sending. Is there aproblem with sending a PM to a certain member or any member?
It could be time to clean out old PM's from the database.

I'm not having any problems, but my wireless family members (SWMBO and son) have complained a bit. Our wireless gear is about 5 years old, but I'm holding out for 802.11n to be finalized before buying. Last I looked, 802.11n was still in draft, and everybody was doing their own "interpretation" of the RFC. I'd hate to buy in now and be locked into a single supplier.

My two PC's are hard wired Ethernet 100Mbps. I can usually download a 650 MB CD ISO in about 20 minutes. OTOH, I often find at work that I will click a link and the connection crawls. I click Stop and re-click the link and it pops right up. I think there may be more and more routers and DNS servers out on the web that are not being properly maintained.

I always keep my inbox clean. I do have a brand new router and this is why I asked if anyone else was having a similar problem. Its just weird that posting and PMing on this forum is the only problem I have. Peter, I also have to hit stop, try posting again, hit after a few of those Ill hi post again and it will wiz through.

Wade what router did you buy? Dealing with that kind of stuff is what I do for a living. I design computer networks and the services underneath them. I might be able to offer some insight to your slowdown issues. I also will need to know if you are wired or wireless.

I have both a wired and wireless computer and they are both acting the same. I had and have a new Linksys WRT54G 4 Port Wireless router. The laptop is getting excellent signal with a listed speed of 54kpbs while the desktop is wired with 100kpbs. This started Monday which is both the same day I bought my new router and the day George opened in his new building I think.

Hmmmm...what version of the WRT54G? I think they are up to V6 right now. It should say beside the serial number on the bottom of the router what version it is.

Is it the straight G? GL? GS? I know the GL had a few issues before the latest firmware.

I was afraid you'd say that. Version 8 of the WRT54G is a crippled version of the hardware. They reduced the RAM and Flash area by 1/2 of the previous models. This doesn't allow you to run 3rd party firmware, which typically runs much faster.

Make sure that logging is turned off in the router (default setting anyways). Set your wireless to G only, and give both sides a good power cycle. Start with turning off the router, leave that off, then turn off your cable/dsl modem. Wait a minute or two, and then turn on the cable modem. Wait for that to fully initialize, then boot the router up.

Next, clear your cache on your browsers and try again. Or, if you are still within your return policy time, get a WRT54GL (linux version), and you can have many choices of 3rd party firmware, or even stay with the latest Linksys version which is now very stable and fast.

Wade another thing to try would be to put the old router in place. If performance improves, it is likely the new router , which as Dean says return. If performance is still slow only on this site only, it is likely an issue with one of the settings.

Well I set it to G but the rest is all Spanish to me and Im not Bilingual. I cant even shut off my router as it has a sealed back up battery in it. Thanks for helping and we'll see what turning on just G does. I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to computers. I can copy and burn DVD's and CD's and make labels and after that
smiley18.gif
! I guess Ill jus deal with it but you may not see too many more pictures as bringing up the Image properties box was like pulling teeth. The old router was not working anymore and I threw it out. It has been playing games with me for the last 2 weeks, connecting and disconnecting constantly and then finally wouldnt connect. It was over 5 years old so speaking with the Linksys people about it actually costs $29.95 so that was just not going to happen.

Edited by: wade

Wade...I can't Post any photos no matter what I try...just finally gave up and use the PhotoBucket and Post them from that tab windowon my browser.

WAde: I don't see much of a difference in uploading pics, it's somewhat slower but not to bad. The smiley icons take forever to open for me, as well as posting. Most of the time if I close the smiley window a few times, it finally opens on the third or fourth try.

Latest posts

Back