Slow OVZ

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Started a 6 gallon batch of Old Vine Zin from 100% juice on Sept 25th - still perking along at 1.009 - seems to be a long time - should I go ahead and rack into secondary?

I would definitely rack to secondary. Like VC said, it helps to move it along to finish by getting a bit of air in there and stirring up the lees (just the act of transfer stirs the living yeast up).

thanx guys

a racking we will go
a racking we will go
hi ho the dairy oh
a rackin' we will goooooooooooooooo!!!

(wine does this to me!!)

ouch!!!

DONE -

and sitting on french medium plus oak.

I just counted and there is 93 gallons in carboys just staring at me.......

What am I doing?

hobby - yeh right!!!

rrawhide

ps: and a chocolate raspberry port on deck!!!

and maybe even a partridge in a pear tree (but haven't found 'er yet!!)

rrawhide said:
DONE -

and sitting on french medium plus oak.

I just counted and there is 93 gallons in carboys just staring at me.......

What am I doing?

hobby - yeh right!!!

rrawhide

ps: and a chocolate raspberry port on deck!!!

and maybe even a partridge in a pear tree (but haven't found 'er yet!!)

Yep just a hobby!
partridge in a pear tree - sounds like a great name for a Christmas Wine
VC

Somtimes waiting that long and then racking will screw you though also unless you stir it up a bit as you leave lots of viable yeast along with the lees when you rack off and then end up with a stuck fermentation resulting in a red wine with Residual sugar. I either rack earlier or let it finish in primary myself.

First, I've been inspired to write new racking lyrics to the tune from "Rawhide". I'll share them once they're refined.

Second, I'm scared that I'm on pace to one day have that many carboys my own self.

Big Ike said:
First, I've been inspired to write new racking lyrics to the tune from "Rawhide". I'll share them once they're refined.

Second, I'm scared that I'm on pace to one day have that many carboys my own self.

Rack em up, move em out Rrrawhide!

Back