WineXpert Slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, the smaller bottles will age faster than the larger ones, given the same conditions.

REALLY!?

Then the beer bottle idea may not work after all. If wine in a smaller bottle ages faster, then they would not reflect the same taste as larger bottles of the same age.

And yet another question comes up. I have a couple of magnums that I filled with Pinot Noir this month. Can I assume that they will age slower than the regular size bottles? Since some prefer bulk aging, can I assume that "slow" aging is better for wine?

Which, by the way, some people believe in and some do not. I am not sure where I stand on the air transfer theory. I do know that no matter how long my wine sits in bulk with an airlock, it gets no better or no worse, but it sure helps to be sure the wine remains still and clear. I also know that when I bottle my wine with corks or with caps, it goes through that wonderful mellowing process of aging. Equally, I am not sure of. How do I prefer to bottle my wine? In 750 ml corked bottles. That is my 2 cents worth of opinion.

HollowOakWine said:
How about Pinot Noir? What are your aging recommendations on that one?

Assuming you are usinga Winexpert kit, they recommend minimum 6-9 months for the Pinot Noir, and probably most other reds as well. The reds in general definitely benefit from some aging (as you would expect).

When I made my first batch of wine, I made a Washington Columbia Riesling, which was quite lovely after three months. That gave me something to drink while I waited for my reds to finish.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back