WineXpert Slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaughn

Reaction score
I just started a new Petite Shiraz kit 2 days ago. It is not acting like the first 2 kits I have made. The air lock is not bubbling away like the others did at this stage of the process. I know it is doing something, because when I lightly tap on the lid, it will "burp". The activity seems very slow. I started this one exactly like the other two, with one exception...I pitched the yeast after I set it on the top shelf. The others, I pitched the yeast, put on the lid, and then wrestled it up to the top shelf. Could the lack of stirring have caused the yeast to start more slowly?

Some kits start slower than others so i wouldn't be too concerned as of yet. I doubt the pitching of yeast like you described hurt anything. I good stir by hand at this point might actually help the fermentation get going.

Any difference in the preparation of this kit than the others besides the yeast addition...temp, stirring?

What type of kit is it and what was the starting specific gravity?

This was a Grande Cru kit. There were no real changes except maybe the temperature. The instructions called for more warm water than I used with my first two kits. However, I made sure that the must was cool to the touch before I pitched the yeast (no, I don't have a thermometer). The SG is a mystery as well, my meter is not showing the right reading (water shows 0.996). But, the juice was quite sweet.

Is is okay if I use a spoon instead of my hand to stir it with?
smiley2.gif

Sure go ahead and use a spoon if you must
smiley36.gif
no need to beat it up too much but a little wake up call to the yeast to get busy! Use you hand to pick up a thermometer the next time you go to the store...a must have for making wine.

My guess is that the temp is low and this is a cause of the slow start of the fermentation.

Keep us informed of the progress.

I'm with Masta on the temperature. I have found the high end of the recommended range of 68-78 degrees for kits to work better. My "fermentation room" is always around 76-77 degrees and my fermentations kick off in less than 24 hours.

To test your hydrometer, place it in water. The reading should be real close to 1.000. If you are very far off, you do have a problem with your hydrometer.

I concur with both the temp and the stir theories, although I have never had trouble getting a kit going at 68 or at 74 degrees. Like Scott said, give it a stir, and be sure to get all the way down to the bottom of the bucket in case you didn't get it stirred up good from the start. Having said all that, I say a slow ferment is not a bad thang. Good luck.

smiley33.gif

Good news!

When I arived home from work yesterday, I was greeted by the sweet, pungent aroma of fermentation. The batch is now bubbling very briskly without my intervention!
smiley32.gif

I appreciate all of your help, even though...

Sounds good....must have been temp and when it warmed up it started cookin!
smiley4.gif

You may be right...my wine room is also my laundry room. My son did a load of clothes the other night. When the dryer is used, it can get a little warmer in there. I guess next time I have a slow ferment, it must be time to do laundry.
smiley36.gif

Something else...the kit instructions say specifically NOT to stir the must after you put the yeast in. Others I see making yeast starters and stiring them in. Any pros or cons to these methods of pitching yeast?

Go to walmart and get a stick on thermometer from the fish tank
department to put on your primary (one on your carboy is nice too).

Great news on the fermentation. Glad to hear it is bubbly away.

The reason the wine kits suggest sprinkling the yeast on top instead of re-hydrating is to increase the chance of success. When you re-hydrate the yeast, you have to get the temperature of the water to 104-109 degrees, which is a fairly small range. By sprinkling, you have one less thing to go wrong.

As far as stirring the yeast I would say once it is re hydrated and fermentation starts it is ok to stir if needed. This is done when making wine from fresh grapes, kits with grape packsor country wines from fruit but really not necessary when making wine from regular kits.

Got a couple more questions for you experts out there...

I cracked open our first bottle of Cabernet over the weekend (Saturday Night). It had been in the bottle right at a month and I wanted to see what it was like. We were a little disapointed, but only a little.
smiley24.gif

The first thing I noticed is that there was still a little CO2 in the wine. You could see bubbles form as you turned the glass from side to side. This definitely affected the taste. The second thing is that the wine was very tannic. My wife said it was just too tart for her taste.

Now to the questions...

1. If I do have CO2 in my bottles, what can I do to release the CO2 before I drink it?

2. We have never had a Cabernet that was less than a year old, will the high tannic flavor mellow out with age?

Lesson learned: That last stir is the most important one.

To get rid of the CO2, just decant the wine and let it breath for 1 hour. The CO2 will go away.

I have yet to make any kit Cab that did not need at least 3 months to age, more if you can stand the wait. That is why I encourage all of my beginners to NOT start with a cab., if they are looking for "immediate results". Give the cab another 2 months and you should notice a big difference.

Another thing I have noticed, especially in the red heavy tannin wines, is they taste alot better at room temp than if you chill the bottle. The lighter less tannic wines and most whites are better a little cooler. I have just started drinking everything except sweeter stuff right out of the rack, usually about 72*F. I have noticed a huge taste difference even in well aged wine.

How about Pinot Noir? What are your aging recommendations on that one?

This does not bode well for my reputation as a fine wine maker. There are at least a dozen bottles out there that my wife gifted out with instructions NOT to open until May 20 (one month after we bottled). Looks like we need to make a few phone calls.

Looks like the rest of this stuff is going under the stair case until Halloween.

As my mentor taught me, "patience is the key to creating sound wines."

The Pinot Noir should be ready in less time as it has less complexity. I would still give it a month after bottling before trying it. You can normally get a feel for aging time at bottling. The more acidic the taste at that time, the more aging time will be required. Keep in mind that all wines are different, even within varietals from the same line. The manufacturers strive for consistency, but the grapes are different from year to year, from vineyard to vineyard.

The best advice I can give you is to taste, taste, taste. The more you taste at the various stages, the better you will be able to predict when a wine will be ready for drinking.

I agree. I always taste my wines at 1 month, then 3 months, then 6, then 12. Referring to time in the bottle, of course.

Now that brings up another point.

To taste your wine (assuming you are not bulk aging), you would have to crack open an entire bottle. After I opened this first one, I really kinda wished that it had been in a smaller bottle. That way, I would be drinking less disapointing wine, and more spectacular wine.

Would there be any harm in say preparing 4-5 beer bottles of wine with every batch just for the purpose of tasting? That way, I can "taste" the wine at various stages and then open a larger bottle when the wine is just right. See any harm in that?

Not at all.

Just make sure they are filled pretty high up so there is less air for oxidation. That would speed it up even faster, being that it's in a littler bottle. I usually have 3-4 beer bottles of my wines (more for more gallons) in my collection so that I don't have to open up a whole bottle just for myself.

Again, make sure you have little airspace in the bottles.
smiley1.gif

Martina

Back