slow Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Junior
Reaction score
So i have had my Rose wine fermenting for just about over 2 weeks now and the SG hasnt seemed to change much and seems to be at 1.020 for the last 2 days, there is still bubbles coming up and the airlock is still bubbling, is this ok or do i have a so called stuck fermentation or something else. Any suggestions or advice?
thanks

Need More Info

Jake,

It would be helpful to have more information about your project. Please describe your recipe.

Is this a kit/bucket/fresh grapes?
What was your initial SG, pH, TA?
Did you add yeast nutrient and yeast energizer?
What has been the temperature of your must?
What kind of yeast are you using and how did you add it?

Best regards,
Paul

Only thing I can think of that Flem and Charles have not brought up is give it a little oxygen. Stirring it some can help it keep going. Also if you started out with a high enough S.G. you mightl have enough alcohol in there to be stunting or killing the yeast off. Arne.

like Arne said you may have enough ABV to have killed yeast or could just be really slow as far as bubbles still coming up that could just be CO2. I had a cherry lime that looked as if it was doing nothing but it would bubble maybe once every 2 mins but it slowly went on down was just snail slow

Yes, please give us so more info.
Also, what yeast strain did you use?
Are you fermenting in a fermentor bucket or in a carboy?
Are you stirring regularly?
Are you allowing oxygen to get to the wine or do you have the wine locked down with a sealed container and airlock?
Does the wine still smell normal?

Last edited:
The juice was some that i received from the winery that i work at and it was given to me from someone that needed to take juice out of there fermenting bin. Yes i used Go-ferm nutrient and i cant remember the exact yeast i added it was for a red, im at work so i will have to look when i get home, the starting SG was 1.080, the temperature of the room/wine is around 60-65F usually. I did all the fermentation in a carboy letting oxygen in for the first few days then put and airlock on it and yes i have been stirring it daily.

The juice was some that i received from the winery that i work at and it was given to me from someone that needed to take juice out of there fermenting bin. Yes i used Go-ferm nutrient and i cant remember the exact yeast i added it was for a red, im at work so i will have to look when i get home, the starting SG was 1.080, the temperature of the room/wine is around 60-65F usually. I did all the fermentation in a carboy letting oxygen in for the first few days then put and airlock on it and yes i have been stirring it daily.

That room/wine temperature is great for D47 yeast.
Depending on the yeast you used, that room temperature might be a little too cool. Most typical wine yeast like 72 to 75F. Check the proper temperature range of the yeast you used. If not right, warm the wine up to the high end of the correct range to get fermentation started again. Keep stirring really well once a day to get the yeast up off the bottom.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back