Skeeter Pee/Vacation what to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btom2004

Wine On My Mind
Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to leave my Skeeter Pee while I go on vacation.
I just pitched the yeast on 08/07/12 with Berry Blend (raspberry/blackberry/blueberry)+cherry 6-gal batch ~SG 1.094/temp 72* primary.

I will be leaving for vacation on 08/11/12.

Could I just remove the fruit bag and let it go on the lees until dry in primary for two weeks?

Or should I rack it into clean carboy and let it go dry there for the two weeks?

+1 to racking into a carboy before you leave. Regardless of which method you choose though, if you are leaving for 2 weeks it has to be under an air lock.

Ok this is day 3. I'll check SG and just rack to carboy. Thanks!

if the sg is below 1.020 I would do as said rack to carboy but if it is not, I would snap down the lid and put an air lock on it.

My concern with racking to carboy when the sg is higher than that would be not enough room in the carboy for agressive fermentation or not getting enough oxygen and possibly having a stuck fermentation.

if the sg is below 1.020 I would do as said rack to carboy but if it is not, I would snap down the lid and put an air lock on it.

My concern with racking to carboy when the sg is higher than that would be not enough room in the carboy for agressive fermentation or not getting enough oxygen and possibly having a stuck fermentation.
thanks left in primary.

Back