Skeeter Pee not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been helping my young neighbor get started in wine making. We both made a Cranberry wine after Thanksgiving, then used the lees to make a cranberry-lemon-lime SP. Mine cleared perfectly with the sparkoloid; his ( at his house) didn't, after 8 days. Only thought was his wasn't de-gassed enough. So I let him borrow my vacuum pump etc & he de-gassed for an hour & massive amounts of gas came out. Now if it doesn't clear can he add more sparkoloid? Or?? He did rack off the lees before the vacuum de-gassing. Roy

I did a second round of Superkleer that did not seem to affect the flavor of a rhubarb/raspberry wine. If I understand the chemical principles of clearing agents correctly, the clearing agent latches on to particles in you wine and drops it to the bottom, so I think it would just fall to the bottom of the car boy as lees.

Our SP took a long time to clear as well, about 3 weeks as I recall. I'm thinking it might have been due to the fact that it was the first time we had ever used sparkoloid and we let it cool too much before we added it. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not but it seems like it might have. It did eventually clear. The other question is did he add the pectic enzyme?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

When I get a batch that won't clear, I find that pectin haze is often the problem. In fact, I made a 32 gallon batch last summer that was started in a single primary, and then split between two 17 gallon demijons. One demijon cleared quickly, while the other did not. Bottled the clear one and gave the other batch more time. Six month later, it was still hazy. Added some pectic enzyme and within a week, it was clear. I'm not sure why one batch cleared and the other did not. My only guess is that when I racked the primary into the two secondaries, the portion that had the pectin in it had either sank to the bottom or raised to the top and therefore, ended up going into only one of the demijons at racking.

I've been having the same problem with my latest batch. I just noticed pectic enzyme isn't on the recipe. So I added some today. Hopefully it will clear now

Latest posts

Back