Skeeter Pee bottled finally!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
I need a heat gun I don't like the boiling water method for the shrink caps

004.jpg

I think the trick is to use a wide deep pot, get the water up to a hot rolling boil, then dunk the whole thing quickly and vertically. If you go too slow or the temp is too low, you'll end up with wrinkles as you show in the pic. Use a spoon to keep the cap in place as you dunk.

That usually results in a nice even, smooth shrink.

Also, don't use the large shrinks that are intended for flanged bottles, unless of course, you are using flanged bottles.

Also, it's usually recommended to fill your bottles a little higher. One thumb width below the bottom of the cork.

Last edited:
I think the trick is to use a wide deep pot, get the water up to a hot rolling boil, then dunk the whole thing quickly and vertically. If you go too slow or the temp is too low, you'll end up with wrinkles as you show in the pic. Use a spoon to keep the cap in place as you dunk.

That usually results in a nice even, smooth shrink.

Also, don't use the large shrinks that are intended for flanged bottles, unless of course, you are using flanged bottles.

Also, it's usually recommended to fill your bottles a little higher. One thumb width below the bottom of the cork.

What is a flanged bottle ?

Like the label alot. Makes you want to open a bottle and kick back. Bakervinyard

I opened this one and its very good. Can't believe I was going to toss it out. This was the very last bottle I filled that's why its lower then the other. I knew I was going to be drinking it anyway. I still had to dress it up though. lol. The other are higher up in the neck and thanks for the tip. I waited for it to come to a rolling boil and it worked perfect ;)

I need a heat gun I don't like the boiling water method for the shrink caps

004.jpg

I use my wife's high priced, high powered, fancy hair dryer!

Just dont tell her!

Looks great, especially the label!

Last edited:
Beautiful wine!!! Beautiful label!!! Congratulations, you should be so proud!!!

How'd yours turn out so yellow, and mine is much more um, like with less color??

I love the boiling water method, using dry heat just didn't work out at all for me. But it must be at a rolling boil, for sure.

Latest posts

Back