Skeeter pee #2 stuck???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJEFF

Reaction score
I starded SP#2 last Friday (8 days now)
Slurry from Blueberry wine
starting SG 1.070
Temp: 72*

It's been stuck at1.030 for the last 3 days what should I do?

Should I add energizer or nutrient or trow one of the other slurries I got in the fridge in there? Or a new starter?
I followed the recipe to the T, I got no idea what happenned

:a1

Last edited:
thx!
I've been stirring it 2-3 times a day...I'll stire more often & longer...

Time to take out the drill&whip!

Last edited:
Give it a really good whipping. Introduce oxygen to it. After that you may want to add some super ferment to it. Presuming you used Lalvin E-1118 yeast if you followed the recipe. That should get your must all the way down. Yes you could warm it up a bit more.

I have a batch slow going but it is moving along. I moved it to near a register for a few more degrees. It did pick up.

ok, I put a heater right next to it and gave it a good whipping with the whip & drill....see how she goes...:re

I starded SP#2 last Friday (8 days now)
Slurry from Blueberry wine
starting SG .070
Temp: 72*

It's been stuck at .030 for the last 3 days what should I do?
Jeff:

I know what you mean, but an sg of .070 or .030 is not possible. You mean 1.070 and 1.030.

Not a problem for this discussion but when you try to calculate your alcohol at some point, the wrong number will drive you batty.

.070 - .990 does not compute for the alcohol.

Steve

Jeff:

I know what you mean, but an sg of .070 or .030 is not possible. You mean 1.070 and 1.030.

Not a problem for this discussion but when you try to calculate your alcohol at some point, the wrong number will drive you batty.

.070 - .990 does not compute for the alcohol.

Steve

Thx! fixed it ;)

I know the recipe calls for adding 2 bottles of lemon juice up front. I add one and the second midstream. Then the 3rd last at the end. That's alot of aciddity to overcome especially if you don't use a starter.

I cranked up the heat and whipped the s**t out of it, a little soon to say but I think I revived it, it's bubbling again :try

nope...no change this morning.....:(
So this morning I gave it a good whip and a dose of yeast nutrient & energizer....will keep you posted:ib

After 2 days of whipping it like crazy, having the temp up to almost 80, added yeast nutrient, yeast energizer it is STILL STUCK AT 1.030!!!:(

Do you guys think it might still pick up?
Is there something else I sould do? I still have high hopes for a great blueberry skeeter pee.....:a1:a1

Jeff, short of going back and reading all the posts, Reintroduce a yeast starter. Use a good yeast such as Lalvin EC-1118 or equilivent.

There is something causing this to stop. Unfortunately that could be many of one or more causes.

Splash rack and add yeast. Even make sure there is enough nutrients and energizer added. This must is very acidic and needs much coaching sometimes. Mine is still chugging along although slow.

I agree with DJ, your yeast must have packed up and left. I'd get a good starter going, then introduce the lemon must to it gradually until the starter is quite large and fermenting. Then dump it into the batch and hope she takes.

I agree with DJ, your yeast must have packed up and left. I'd get a good starter going, then introduce the lemon must to it gradually until the starter is quite large and fermenting. Then dump it into the batch and hope she takes.

Thx!
How large is "quite large"?
Could I use another slurry or is it better to start fresh?
I assume it's'gonna take me 4-5 days to get the starter going...is my must ok in the primary until then? Should I keep whipping it while I wait?

Thx for your time :h

Don't add another slurry. Start your yeast for 15 minutes in 100 degree water No higher. After 15 mins. add a few ounces of inverted sugar water with a small amount of nutrients and energizer. Allow it to work for a few hours. Add a small amount of your must. Wait a few hours. repeat. Add to your must. Stir in well and keep it warm.

:u:u:u

I put the starter in yesterday just before going to bed and gave it a good whipping, gave another ehipping this morning but I didn't have time to check SG...there was no foam or bubbling whatsoever so it got me a little worried.

Coming back from work this PM, I checked SG and it did go down from 1.030 to 1.025:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db

I think i'm on the right track!
Thx to those who helped, I'll keep you posted!

bigbanana.gif
bigbanana.gif
bigbanana.gif

That deserves a BIG banana dance!

Latest posts

Back