RJ Spagnols shout out to george

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaches9324

Reaction score
my first kit I ordered along with a bucket with a hole for the spigot I had also ordered as well I did as the directions said I filled the bucket with water to test the seal and it seemed fine, so I proceded to make the wine and low and behold I noticed a lil wine under the spigot, I thought maybe this was my imagination.. thinking the worse. I wiped it off and more wine appeared then it started leaking more and more! This is not good! well after I put the wine in other bucket and a carboy cuz the bucket wasn't big enoughAfter disasembling the spigot I found one of the washers had a slice in it a clean cut! well anyway after running to the wine store andwalmart in hopes to locate a washer. The man at walmart convinced me to buy some plumbers putty. I messaged george and told him of my situation he assured me the wine would be fine until the next day when home depot was open. I went to home depot this morning and they had none that would fit! imagine that! so they incouraged me to buy the cut to fit kit they had. that was a bad idea!
smiley18.gif
So anyway I ended up buying a 5 gal bucket from the wine store-they didn't have 6 or7 gal in storeand not using my neat lil spigot pluss I ended up loosing some wine cuz the bucket didn't hold as much as the one from the toy store did. So the moral to this story is always have extra washers for your spigot!
smiley2.gif
And george is the best!

You can always seal off the spigot with aquarium grade silicone. Aquarium grade silicone doesn't leach anything toxic out of it (would kill the fish), and is stable under all conditions like low PH wine.

thank you! I didn't even think of that! I should of examined the washers better I realized after all this I should of taken the washer b/t thumb and fore finger and squeezed it allowing me to see any slits but it's always after the fact that we learn
smiley26.gif
So people remember to properly examine your equipment! Or youl be kicking yourself in the behind like I was. But all is good now, I got the wine fermenting and it is foaming away
smiley1.gif

Next time try ACE Hardware. You will pay for it but they usually have at least one of everything!! When I am really stuck ie Lowes and Home Depot don't have X then I breakdown and go to ACE (which is actually 2 mins from my house vs 10-15 for the others).

i agree about what you said about George...so much so that i put it in my signature :)

yea the customer service is great! I got an email the other day that their sending me a washer, that's wonderful! THANKS ALOT GEORGE! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the service and this forum!
smiley4.gif

I received the washers the other day yaaa! And I put them on the bucket and spigot and filled it with water and let it set a whole day and night and no leaks! now I'm anxy to rack I can't wait! I got the bucket in the laundry room up off the floor wrapped in a couple beach towels cuz believe it or not it stays cool in there except when the dryers running of course.

We lament the passing of Ace here too. Maybe Goerge is the new ACE!
Thanks for the good idea Dean, you seem to keep coming up with them.

Latest posts

Back