Should I rack it, or dump it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThousandJulys

Wino Extrordinaire
Reaction score
Well, I've had this wine (not topped off, as you can see) sitting for about 9 months in the secondary carboy. It's Strawberry Limeade Mint. After it was done fermenting to dryness, I added a bottle of Trader Joe's strawberry lemonade to it. I'm not sure if it started re-fermenting or not, as I was also negligent about writing down the specific gravity, etc. It seems to have this top layer of sediment that I'm concerned about. It's like a pinkish tan globules on the upper sides and floating all on top. It has also been sitting on the sediment that I think was caused by the addition of the juice later on, I suspect. It was also acidic, so I added calcium carbonate (I KNOW I put too much in.) It smells alright, I'm just worried I could get sick if I drank any of it. Any thoughts?

Sediment 1.jpg

Sediment 2.jpg

Try racking carfully leaving as much of that stuff behind and sulfite it. Please rack it to the right size vessel or vessels so as this wont happen again. I think it will be ok but have changed the taste and you may have just made Sherry now as thats basically how Sherry is made.

Alright, sounds good Wade! Thanks for the input, I'll rack it in a few min then. I really neglected this wine. I had about four other batches going and I didn't sort of forgot about it. I'll let you know what happens...

Latest posts

Back