Mosti Mondiale Should I be concerned?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A62Rambler

Reaction score
Sunday I racked my Amarone to the secondary. It was fizzing like crazy for two days. Yesterday it just seemed to stop. Today there is no gas through the airlock and very little if any sign of fermentaion (a few bubbles around the edge but none moving up). I just checked the Sg and it is .0994 at 75*. It shouldn't have dropped that much should it? Sg on Sunday when it was racked was 1.020 at 80 degrees. I'm going to leave it in the carboy and check again tomorrow but what if it is stable at .0994?
smiley5.gif
I can't be done in three days of secondary! ... can I?
smiley5.gif

I stirred while checking and it is still fermenting but it is really slow. I'm just worried that the sg is as low as it is?
smiley5.gif
Edited by: A62Rambler

At that temp it is most likely done! Top temp should be 75 or 76*. If
you reach these temps again you should wet a T-Shirt and wrap it around
the carboy and aim a fan at it and keep an end of the T-Shirt in some
water like a wick. This will drop the temp by about 4-6*.

Rambler,

At sg .994 fermentation has stopped because there is no more sugar.

These wine kits will ferment very quickly, especially at 80 degrees. No worries!

I checked and the sg was .0994 and 75*again yesterday. I just can't keep the heat down any with the temps hitting 100* or more each day. I racked it to another clean carboy and added the sulfite and sorbate. I've begun degassing. Somehow during the process I ended up with a tiny glass of the wine.
smiley4.gif
If it is this good young and taking the glass off the lees, it is going to be a much better wine than I thought I could make.
smiley1.gif
This site has been a wonderful resource for information and everything has gone smoothly after my first little fiasco. I actually have three other kits going now. Thanks to all for the help and support! Now if there are volunteers to send me some wine to drink while I wait out the bulk aging... anyone, anyone.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: A62Rambler

If you want to pay for the shipping and handling, which will most likely cost you more than going to the store to buy your own, you're welcome to a few bottles!

Thanks Wade,
I am joking though. You can't get wine in KY unless you buy it at the store. I was going to join a wine club when I found this out and that prompted me to try making my own. I think it will work out better in the end.
smiley1.gif

You can if you ship it as marinade or something to hat sort but you aint heard that from me as I aint 1 to gossip!
smiley2.gif

Don't ship as a potassium metabisulfite solution - that's too "chemical." I would ship as "Fruit Juice Marinade for Testing Only - Not For Resale."

Peter,
Somehow I don't think they'd buy the line that the grape juice fermented in shipping.
smiley2.gif
I think I'll just keep buying the store bought stuff until mine ages. Edited by: A62Rambler

Good idea but I and many of us have shipped (marinades)
23_20_80.gif
many times. I have sent out 5 separate batches. If you do decide to, pre box it, and just right "fragile" Liquid inside and put the bottles in ziplock baggies so if for some reason they do break they still wont spill!

Back