Should I add another pack of yeast ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSwiner

Reaction score
I started a wine from frozen juice ( minute maid) on Feb 29,2016 . The starting SG was 1.070 I checked it a couple weeks ago the SG was 1.004 . I then put it in a carboy and checked again today it's still at 1.004 . Just wondering if I should add more yeast to take it under SG 1.000 . It's been warm because I had it sitting by a new kit I started a week ago and I set a heater beside it warming the whole room . Before that it was always between 20-22 C . I've never had one stop before going under 1.000 .

@NSwiner I wouldn`t , It`s close enough it should be fine ,Be sure to stabilize it . But Know Your wine might be a little sweet , PS I am a novice

your wine has finished. rack and add kmeta. I would suggest use of yeast hydrating procedures next time with Go-Ferm and addition of yeast nutrient like Fermaid-K once fermentation starts. both procedures will insure a healthy fermentation to completion.

I did use a yeast nutrient and energizer when I started . I really didn't want it that sweet but it's ok .

I did use a yeast nutrient and energizer when I started . I really didn't want it that sweet but it's ok .

Hi,
I don't know which product you used, if it was concentrate it might be that the preservatives may have gotten to the yeast. I sometimes have a hard time if they contain these ingredients, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate etc. Acids in high levels without stirring in lots of oxygen and energizer, maybe?? Other than this too high a temp. ???

I did stir every day . Maybe next time I'll try a different yeast (used EC-118 ) and add more energizer . Thanks for the help everyone.

you should not rack until the fermentation is complete. use the hydrometer to tell you when you have reached at least 1.000. rack into secondary an leave all lees behind. rack again in three days and leave gross lees behind. add k meta. rack again in three weeks if wine is from grapes this removes remove fine lees. then bulk age.

Back