shellfish warning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use chitosan for clearing some of my wines. Since it is a shellfish derivative, is there enough residual in the wine to require a warning label? I have seen some home made wines with a label and am curious. Don't want to injure someones health.

Thats weird because the manufacturer staqes that this has gone through such a processing that there are no proteins left in it at all.

barryjo said:
I use chitosan for clearing some of my wines. Since it is a shellfish derivative, is there enough residual in the wine to require a warning label? I have seen some home made wines with a label and am curious. Don't want to injure someones health.

If you know someone is allergic please say something to them and let them make the choice. In most cases it will not bother them but there are a few folks that may just don't want to take a chance.

regardless...you dont really need clarifiers..patience will take care of things and you can filter just as easily w/o the concern of chitosin

Wade said:
Thats weird because the manufacturer staqes that this has gone through such a processing that there are no proteins left in it at all.

Yes it is weird Wade, but that is the way the law is written. It is not on the list of approved substances, so it is illegal to add it to the wine in a commercial winery.

@ vcasey. And therein lies the rub. I don't KNOW of anyone with this allergy. And I doubt they wear a sign or come right out and tell you when you first meet. Not as bad as a peanut allergy but still-----.

barryjo said:
@ vcasey. And therein lies the rub. I don't KNOW of anyone with this allergy. And I doubt they wear a sign or come right out and tell you when you first meet. Not as bad as a peanut allergy but still-----.

For the most part you really have nothing to worry about. Most folks are actually allergic to the proteins and through the processing that part is eliminated. Then you have the few like me are are not so lucky and believe me they know what is in the food and drinks they consume and they will ask you for that information. I think you are worrying over nothing, but if you feel you should put a warning on your label go for it.

All allergies are bad as peanut allergies, they just aren't as well known.

Count me in on the allergy. I almost died after eating lobster during high school in a cooking class. I also need to steer clear of crab and similar type crustceans. A couple months ago I ate at a seafood restaurant choosing hadock and shrimp, but goofed and asked for them fried. Obviously something in the cooking process was contaminated because I was sick and needed to take medication after dinner. Believe me it isn't fun.............................and nothing to be brushed off easily.

Rich, have you ever used Chitosan in any of your wines including kits and if so did it effect you, just curious?

Other than Wine Expert do any of the other brand kits use Chitosan? What clearing agents are known not to be Chitosan or shellfish directive?

Wade I do not use any kind of chitosan in my wine anymore now that I am commercial as it is illegal for commercial useage. I have used SuperKleer before going commercial in my personal wine and never had any problems with it.

I cannot even use chondroitin products for joints though because of the shellfish used to make it. There are warnings on that stuff now. My MIL once had me try a supplement pill of it before they began warning about it. I ended up having my airways constrict and needed to take benadryl to relieve it.

ttortorice said:
Other than Wine Expert do any of the other brand kits use Chitosan? What clearing agents are known not to be Chitosan or shellfish directive?

Egg whites and any pvpp products. Sure there are others.

appleman said:
It is enough of a concern that it is illegal to use it in commercial wines.

I guess the same holds true for Super-Kleer.
Evidently I have lots to learn about allergies. Since I am not allergic to anything (Iwill not touch liver and onions or headcheese!) I think the best option, as stated, is to put a label on the bottle.
Thanks to all.

ttortorice said:
Tony, I havent done any W.E. kits in quite some time but I remember them using Isinglass when I was doing them. SuperKleer which is a 2 part fining agent uses Chitosan along with Kiesol. RJ Spagnols uses SuperKleer but either packages it themselves or just has a deal worked out that they dont put the name on it as SuperKleer. Not sure about some of the other brands like Cellar Craft even though I have made a few of those and dont really have access to some of the other kits that are mainly distributed up north. Rich, I figured you couldnt use this now that you are commercial just wondering if when you were making kits you stayed away from this knowing about your allergies or went with the flow.

appleman said:
Count me in on the allergy. I almost died after eating lobster during high school in a cooking class. I also need to steer clear of crab and similar type crustceans. A couple months ago I ate at a seafood restaurant choosing hadock and shrimp, but goofed and asked for them fried. Obviously something in the cooking process was contaminated because I was sick and needed to take medication after dinner. Believe me it isn't fun.............................and nothing to be brushed off easily.

As I stated before, I have some learning to do about allergies. So, why would you order shrimp at a seafood restaurant?? Or better yet, why eat at a seafood restaurant at all? And what does the preparation method have to do with shrimp?
And as for other fining agents, bentonite and sparkoloid come to mind. Are these OK? If I remember correctly, ising glass is derived from fish cartilage. And when will somebody package "patience" for us folks??????
smiley36.gif

barryjo not all shellfish are the same. I can eat clams,scallops and shrimp with no ill effects. Lobster and crabs however are another story. Also I went there because I took my wife out to eat and I try not to limit others eating with my shortcomings. I thought I was safe with the meal I ordered, but they apparently had cross contaminated something during preparation.

Wow that really stinks Rich. I have pollen and grain allergies but I am able to live with them. Being allergic to seafood and things like peanuts would be a nightmare.

barryjo said:
As I stated before, I have some learning to do about allergies.
And when will somebody package "patience" for us folks??????
smiley36.gif

Don't worry even the experts have a lot to learn about allergies. They really can be very different for each person.

If you make more wine then you can bottle or drink then patience is easy.

Rich I've had that happen once and actually went back to eat at the restaurant, just made sure I spoke to the manager first. It was fun watching everyone bend over backwards, almost made up for the pain I went through.

Latest posts

Back