Finer Wine Kit Peach Frutta turned black

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to kit winemaking. Peach is my 3rd kit and it came with active carbon and bentonite. The must is totally black. I hope it is normal and the color will change to peach at some point but the instructions doesn't warn you. My heart almost attacked me! When the color is going to start changing? I don't want a black peach wine!

Black is the new fad in wine. You'll get used to it, and appreciate the dark color.

🤣

Seriously, don't worry about it. The carbon is freaky looking, but it will precipitate with the K&C. My Sauvignon Blanc was pitch black, but after adding the K&C, it looked normal.

Has anyone done a side by side, carbon vs non?

Just thinking there is no reason you couldn't add it to any must. Wondering what is pulls out, some colour, definitely flavors too. Just the bad ones?

Just the bad ones?
You wish! ;-) The carbon will remove good flavours and aromas. It's pretty well documented from treating smoke exposed grapes using carbon. Having said that, perhaps the level of carbon used by FWK is low enough to make it less of a problem.

BTW if you are in the mood of testing, take a small sample of wine and give it a high dose of carbon. After you have removed the carbon, taste the sample and compare it to the original wine.

You wish! ;-)
It's really hard to portray sarcasm in written text. 😆

It is interesting to me because FWK has such great reviews, but it does seem like it could strip positive attributes. one has to think the positives outweigh the negatives or it would never be done on a retail level. How much is included in the kits?

It is interesting to me because FWK has such great reviews, but it does seem like it could strip positive attributes. one has to think the positives outweigh the negatives or it would never be done on a retail level. How much is included in the kits?
Any additive can have a high or low dose, and either range could have no or bad effects. I can't speak generally, but the varietal character of my FWK Sauvignon Blanc is perfectly fine, so the carbon was not a problem.

We've had various discussions regarding the FWK carbon -- practical experience is that it's fine. Folks may be overthinking the situation.

Back