SG readings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fentos1303

Reaction score
The latest stuff I set off I think I possibly had too much sugar in, my SG was at 1.100 which I know is way to high, I was adding water to get it to drop but was not dropping and I was worried about adding anymore water etc, to get a good ABV will I be ok to stop fermentation above the usual 0.996 so say 1.010 for example or will that be to early to stop and therefore mean it will not have fermented enough? Just wondering if this is an option, never had to do it as I'm normally just starting at 1090 and racking and stabilising at 0998-0996??

Forgot to mention Maybe I was not waiting long enough between adding water and taking readings I'm not sure

Fentos,
I've never done it. It is supposed to be somewhat hard for the home winemaker to do.

1.100 isn't horrible. It should ferment.

Yea, stopping an active ferment is very difficult for the home winemaker.

I was just hoping Camden tablets and stabilizer should do the job but my worry was would stopping it at 1000 or slightly above be ok for the wine? I'm agree on the high ABV tho as I do like it strong but also nice tasting too

What kind of wine is this? The reason that I ask is if it is grape or a grape juice bucket, if you add water, you can easily alter the acidity level, this is easy to adjust.

u can stop a fermentation any where you want to, depends on how sweet you want your wine, but your not going to stop it with campden/kmeta and sorbate, ....neither will stop the ferment...

I'm very new to this so I'm just using grape juices with fruit juices, really enjoy the results too! So what would stop it?

Pumpkinman will too much water not affect taste of the end result of the wine? It's just I was worries I had maybe added a litre or so too much, would that amount not be too harmful?

Latest posts

Back