SG For A Semi Dry & Semi Sweet Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
Getting warm enough to start making fruit wines again. Although this question sounds a bit loaded, its really not. I'm just looking for a ball park figure. What SG would most consider to be a semi dry wine and what SG would you consider a semi-sweet wine. I realize this is very subjective and open to individual personal preference, thats why I'm just asking for ball park figures. Thanks.

You can bet the seat you're sitting on, anything over about 1.020 will probably have some sort of sweetness to it... Most likely, anything over 1.015 really- although some of the wines that people like Sirs make, might not :)

.990 - 1.000 is pretty dry, but 1.000 could be included in semi-dry on some wines
1.005+ in my experience, has some discernable sweetness

This all fluctuates on the different acidity levels, alcohol levels, palettes, from wine to wine.

Ballpark, it is.

Last edited:
And I appreciate it. Thanks. I want to split my next batch up into two different batches when it comes time to backsweeten.

I'd recommend bench trials.

Set out several small samples from the main vessel & backsweeten them to different levels. Make your individual samples large enough (a 'glass' or so) for you & one or two others to try, valued opinions - if you know any of those - to get a few palettes opinions on which ones are best.

I agree - you can sweeten to an SG you want - but better to use as a guide and sweeten to your palate or a some unbiased palates.

Sampling! That sounds like the fun way to do it! Good advice. The SG numbers will be just a starting point, keeping in mind the wine will smooth out some after ageing. Good advice on trying very small batches first!

Back