WineXpert sediment in the carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly boy

Reaction score
I noticed after racking to the glass car boy (secondary) there is about 3/4 to and inch of sediment in the bottom after 7 days. Given this is the first time of winemaking, I am not sure what to expect at each stage.
Is this normal, or did I get to much sediment when racking fromthe primary?

This appears to be a great group, and any feedback would be helpful.

Welcome Fly boy,

This is perfectly normal to see this amount of sediment at this stage. What type of wine are you making?

The selection versions of the Australian Chardonnay andWoodbridge Cab.

This is a lot of fun and interesting process. Can't wait to try the results!

Thanks for the help.

Flyboy: Welcome to the forum and to winemaking. For a newbie you picked a great wine to start with, you may want to read http://www.finevinewines.com/Buttery-Chardonnay.htm

I did this little trick from Tim V and it turned out great. Some manufactures actually tell you in their instructions to rack the lees with the must as it helps with the clearing of the wine, some don't want you to rack the lees. I have found with my home made wines, it works well with white wines, not so much with reds. All I can say is always follow the directions that came with the kit and not to much can go wrong. Good luck and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back