sediment in some bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teraann

Junior
Reaction score
I bottled my first batch and have some sediment in the first bottle and the last couple...is this ok or should I do something? The bottles are already corked...

Thanks for your time!
Tera

I guess that is your call. How many bottles do you have? If its only three or four bottles, save those for yourself and drink the others when you have guests.

If its 30 bottles and they all have sediment, you may want to put them back in the carboy if they are going to be gifts.

It's only 3-4 bottles that have sediment so I suppose it isn't worth going back to the carboy. Thanks!

It's nothing to recork. I'd pull the cork, put them in a gallon jug and rebottle. 60 cents worth of corks.

I would say just drink it. Now next time you need more "time" and more rackings.
Tell us what you did time wise and the recipe so we can give you a idea what to do next batch.

I bottled my first batch and have some sediment in the first bottle and the last couple...is this ok or should I do something? The bottles are already corked...

Thanks for your time!
Tera

I bet there was some sediment in your carboy when you bottled.
The sediment will be stirred up and some finds its way in the first bottle.
Then when racking reaches the end some sediment will be picked up and also get into the bottles, that the last bottles.

As long as the wine was bonedry I would not worry too much,

Don't wait too long to drink them, that would be my advise.

Luc

Yes, I had some sediment in the carboy. I should have racked an additional time. Now I know better for next time :)

Yeah, If you are going to bottle from a carboy I would rack right before to get off that sediment fisrt. If you want an even more clear wine then that would be the time to filter, and then bottle. I did my last white that way and it was crsytal clear with no sediment in the bottles.

Latest posts

Back