Secondary fermentation too warm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcane

Junior
Reaction score
The instructions say to keep my carboy between 15-19 degrees but today's as pretty hot and when I checked it it was 26... Will this ruin my wine if it doesn't cool down soon?

26 celcius is 78.8f, sounds like their kit recommends 59-66f

under 27f I wouldn't personally worry about for ferm temps too much ( that's under 80 farenheit)

The instructions say to keep my carboy between 15-19 degrees but today's as pretty hot and when I checked it it was 26... Will this ruin my wine if it doesn't cool down soon?
It would be nice to know what you are making or at least what instructions that you are referring to. Also would be nice to know where this wine is at in terms of activity, aging, etc,

Would appear that you are doing an RJ Spagnols kit (although this post is not in the kit section).

The RJS instructions that I looked at have a suggested temp of 15-19C (59-66F) after stabilizing and clearing.

Other brands (specifically Vineco and Winexpert) don't suggest a lower temperature at this point, so this should be just fine.

Steve

Sorry, I'm super new at this! (Both wine making and navigating this site :$)

I'm making a Glad Hatter Merlot that came with grape skins. I racked to secondary on the 14th of May at a SG of 0.998. My kit instructions are in degrees Celcius. Is there anything else I can tell ya that would help?

Wow kcane.... No place cooler in your house then that? How about a big pan that you could fill with cool water and stick the carboy in it..... I also know they sell jackets for carboys for heating and cooling.... You might need to invest in them...

Kcane, glad you asked the question regarding temperature. I am hoping to start making wine again soon, but days and nights are already getting quite very warm as we head into summer. It's 26 degrees in the house right now. I have wondered if I should delay until the fall, for that reason. Only concern is that if the kits I ordered will last sitting a few months in warm temperatures until I make them.

Sdelli, I wasn't aware of the cooling jackets. I will have to look for one of these.

Back