WineXpert Secondary and SG target

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckhorn

Reaction score
I seem to have several questions recently -- I appreciate the answers and all the help....

I racked my (first ever) kit into a 6-gal carboy the other day for secondary fermentation. An Island Mist Raspberry Peach Sangria.
My starting SG was 1.045 and it spent 6 days in the primary.
SG before I racked was .994 (already below the target final of .996)

My question is since I am already below my final SG target, do I need to wait the full 10 days in secondary before I go to stabilizing and fining, or can I continue to the next step a couple days early?

I don't want to mess the kit up and have it not turn out, or not clear properly - but I found out my sisters will be in town and I would like to share this with them. If I wait the full 10 days for secondary, they will have left town the day before I bottle.

I know this question screams "IMPATIENT" -- but I am excited about this new hobby and a little anxious to share.... If I will mess the kit up, I will temper my anxiousness and wait, but if I am making this to share so if I can....

The standard answer on here is wait till your specific gravity is the same for 3 days in a row before proceeding to the next step. Some will also say that your should wait the 10 days to give the wine time to develope.

I never use a hydometer for final SG to see if things are done but then i never rush things. As for giving your wine time to develope, these are not the highest quality wines and a few days will not make much difference. Its the F-pack that gives it the flavour and covers the flaws of the wine and feremtation.

It is possible that rushing it may result in a wine that is not as clear as possible but you will find that out soon enough. It will still taste the same but the appearance will not be as good as it can be. (first kit - who cares)

I say move to the next step early as long as you can verify that fermentation is done with your SG readings. Heck have a bottling party with you sister as they are always great fun.

Good luck and you can apply what you learned this time to make an even better wine the next go around. Search for adding sugar to increase the ABV for your next kit. Conditioning prior to bottling is also another good topic to read up on.

cheers

I agree with Putterrr on this - sharing the experience with your family is worth it. If filtering is available for you, you might want to consider doing that at bottling time as it may help in clearing and will keep the sediment out of your bottles.

;
My starting SG was 1.045 and it spent 6 days in the primary.
SG before I racked was .994 (already below the target final of .996)

My question is since I am already below my final SG target, do I need to wait the full 10 days in secondary before I go to stabilizing and fining, or can I continue to the next step a couple days.
I usually ferment quickly but still rack off gross lees and let "rest" a week or two in secondary. Toped up with similar wine. Feel free to bottle acording to instructions and start another kit right awat to practice patients, with 3 or6 months of bulk aging while you enjoy your first.

Btw I remember that my first time was rather quick too but memorable. :ot: hahaha

Thanks all, the temperature in my secondary dropped further than I would have liked (built a homemade warming bath contraption tonight to try and get the temp back where I want it). Add that to the fact of a busy time when they are visiting, I have decided to not rush this and let it sit in the secondary at least the 10 days before I go on to the clearing stage... hence delaying the bottling until after everyone has gone home.

@TonyT - I already have the second kit in my primary (Choco-Rasp. Port)... It is coming along nicely. I am watching both batches and enjoying this new hobby tremendously -- though still anxious for that first taste.

Latest posts

Back