Screwcap bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtra

Junior
Reaction score
Can screwcap wine bottles be recycled to bottle at home?
I've been getting some bottles from a local wine bar and it seems there are an awful lot of screw cap bottles. I also have some nice blue bottles that I think would be great for my Okanagan peach ice-wine (once I make it), but they are screwcap bottles.

Can I use them? If so, how? and where do you get new caps? If they are available, how does home-screw-capped wine compare to corking?

The suppliers carry replacement screw caps for 28mm bottles....I have bought plastic and steel...So far...none have fit my bottles....I must have some real odd ball bottles.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4335

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4320

We have used 8 X 1¾" corks on screw top bottle...ONLY if they have a nice heavy glass around the threads. [These bottles I give to people who have never returned bottles in the past]

So far we have had no problems with bottle tops breaking while removing the corks....Perhaps a #9 cork would be too tight.

Most people would tell you NOT to cork these bottles.

First....Try to find some screw caps that will fit. Let us know if you have luck matching your bottles to caps.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4320

Most of the wine bottles you get commercially from wineries, bars, liquor stores etc have special screw cap machines that actually form the thread while it bottles. In general you rarely find caps that fit those bottles. #8 corks do work, but I have had a couple break the neck of the bottle while removing the cork. I no longer keep those bottles and just throw them out.

Last night while out at a local bar (usually a country bar but was a democrat party thing last night) we asked the bartender gal (who knows us from country dancing nights) to save bottles for me. I ended up with 11 bottles- all are form Guadagni in california, either pinot grigio or chardonnay. Apparently the dems were not drinking reds.
smiley36.gif

I should be able to cork these, right? She is saving more friday when we actually go there to dance.
Mary

If a cork came out of them...then, you should be able to put a cork back in them.

Nice score!!!!
smiley32.gif

I am already seeing that... They soaked all night, but looks like nothing is going to nicely fall off for me and will have to be scraped. Well, at least I am off work a couple days and have lots of time before my wine is ready to bottle.
Mary
smiley22.gif

I will add that the screw caps that the vendors sell will not fit the screw cap bottles commercial wineries use. They will fit the screw cap bottles that the vendors sell. Also as mentioned, the glass in the neck of a screw cap bottle is not as thick as a corked bottle. It is very common for them to break while corking them as well as uncorking.

Latest posts

Back