Science Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
I have compared Wine making to a Science Kit for adults. Today I had fun playing with my Science Kit. I needed to do a racking of a six gallon carboy and a five gallon of Concord. They are both only a few weeks old and had about 3 inches of lees. I was able to rack into one sanitized five gallon carboy and the rest only filled 2/3's of another five gallon. The second carboy had way too much space allowing for a lot of air. I am new to wine making and only have five and six gallon carboys. I immediately did what any good home winemaker would do, spent more money on a case of one gallon carboys. Unfortunately they will not arrive for 10-14 days. I was worried the oxygen was going to taint my wine, I needed a solution.
Time for the science kit,,,
I had a primary in violent fermentation of a Cabernet kit. I hooked up a tube connecting this primary vent into the carboy cap of my 2/3 full carboy. After 30 minutes the airlock was bubbling away, all the air was purged. I love science, and wine.

Good creative thinking. You can sulfite the wine. The sulfite atoms will split in half and the free sulfites will attach themselves to the oxygen atoms and escape thru the airlock. I would get rid of that space as soon as possible.

Creative fix for the problem, Gotta love it! Sounds alot better than marbles or the Presever in a can!

Latest posts

Back