Santa Fe Wineries?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhenson

Junior
Reaction score
We are headed to Santa Fe, NM for our anniversary. I am researching wineries, and thought I would ask for recommendations from the forum?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I answered just this very question a few weeks ago to another member in a PM so I will just cut and paste my response.

Unfortunately there really is not much in Santa fe itself as far as tasting and no wineries. I will tell you what is worthwhile and where it is and you can see if it fits into your itinerary.

If your flying into ABQ there are several excellent places to stop before heading up to Santa fe.

Gruet Winery (one of the best in state. excellent champagne (sparkling wine that even made Wine Spectator top 100 one year) Mostly white wines, a couple of red.

Casa Rondena (lovely tuscan styled winery, excellent wines red and white)

St. Clair Winery/Bistro (these guys are the best in the state with their Premium wine label called DH Lescombes. Winery is owned and run by a French family so you know they know what they are doing. Their cab ($18) is incredible. You would never guess it din't come from Napa. They have so many labels/tiers of wines to choose from your head will spin.

You must head North of Santa fe on US 84/285 to get to the northern wineries in the state.

Estrella Del Norte. They sell not only their own wines but about 5 other wineries wines as well. A nice one stop shop where you can sample a lot of wines in on place. They do not sell any of the wines mentioned from ABQ however. Nice grounds, small winery, quaint. very southwestern look.

Black Mesa - Just about 15 miles north of Espanola on the way to Taos. I know the owner and winemaker. He is making wines as good as anyone in the state. LOTS of varieties red and white.
His wines are also available at Estrella Del Norte. Nice grounds, small winery, very southwestern look.

Black Mesa probably would be my one place to stop if you could only stop one place. Estrella del Norte is young and being helped by Black Mesa. You can taste ALOT of wines there so be careful or you'll leave tipsy!

Black Mesa also just opened a tasting room in Taos.

Other small wineries on the same general highway are Vivac and La Chiripada.

If you like boutique distilled spirits, check out Don Quixote which is very close to Estrella Del Norte. Some really nice Blue Corn Vodka, Grappa, and some Ports and Wines as well. The spirits are pricey though.

Check out:

http://www.nmwine.com/wineries/member-wineries.html

for links to websites and directions.

The best wine stores in Santa fe for wine local or not is "Susan's"

"Kokomans" on the same highway to the Northern wineries. Doesn't look like much from the outside but has one of the best selections of wine and liquor in the state.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back