sanitizing solution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a plactic container of 1 step cleaner a while back. Then my local suppplier started carrying B-brite.
Now it is some kinds of Potassium Metabisulfite powder, but I just buy it by the bag and put it in the plastic conainter with a lid. The only containter of 1 step cleaner said 1 tbs per gallon, so that is what I have always done.

The only problem I have is after I dump the mixture out I get some little white klingons on the inside, but they tend to disappear with time.

I have also begun adding a campden tab or Potassium Metabisulfite to a squirt bottle. I forget the ratio, but I use this to rinse off the more used gear, like my mixing paddle!

You make it sound like you placed the k-meta in the same bucket that you store 1-step in. 1-step and k-meta are not the same thing and problably should be stored seperately. 1-step is intended to clean wine making equipment while k-meta is a sanitizer and is added to wine to prevent oxidation and to protect from spoilage. I don't think anyone would want to add 1-step to their wine, which could happen if it's mixed with the k-met.:s
LOUMIK

I know the white powder B-Brite is just a cleaner. Some people mistake it for being a sanitizer. There is also a pink powder B-Brite which cleans and sanitizes in one step. No one here in Michigan carries the pink stuff for some reason unknown to me. Maybe because it is more expensive.

I bought a plactic container of 1 step cleaner a while back. Then my local suppplier started carrying B-brite.
Now it is some kinds of Potassium Metabisulfite powder, but I just buy it by the bag and put it in the plastic conainter with a lid. The only containter of 1 step cleaner said 1 tbs per gallon, so that is what I have always done.

The only problem I have is after I dump the mixture out I get some little white klingons on the inside, but they tend to disappear with time.

I have also begun adding a campden tab or Potassium Metabisulfite to a squirt bottle. I forget the ratio, but I use this to rinse off the more used gear, like my mixing paddle!

Latest posts

Back