Sanitizing dishwasher

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
I am anticipating the death of our beloved dishwasher. I have had at least 9 years of faithful service from this machine. I have read about some here using their dishwashers to sanitize their wine bottles before bottling. I am looking at a Maytag Jet clean model. http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Dishwashers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5ZaqqnZ1z141fz/R-100679663/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Its guide states "Raises the water temperature in the final rinse to approximately 154°F (68°C). This high temperature rinse sanitizes your dishes and glassware in accordance with
NSF/ANSI Standard 184 for Residential Dishwashers. Certified residential dishwashers are not intended for licensed food establishments. The Sanitize option adds heat and time to the cycle."

I'm am pretty certain this would not meet anyone here's standards for sanitizing. I am pretty sure someone else knows better than I on this matter. Any comments?

And, should I scavenge the pump for possible future use

Problem is that is an awful small opening to hit (wine bottle) and your just not going to get enough water up there to clean it properly on a stock dishwasher. I seem to recall someone here or perhaps those other guys winemaking forum retrofitted a dishwasher using plastic PVC pipe with holes in a custom made rack that would accommodate 30 wine bottles. Pretty neat little modification but looked like a lot of work!

After soaking in solution for label removal and rinsing then run through the dishwasher on santize mode and small squirt of kmeta in bottles at bottling time seems to work for me. But that's me
Save the pump!!

I can safely ascertain that no dishwasher in the home will do a thorough sanitation job, as it doesn't reach #1 a high enough temperature, and #2 won't get inside the bottle without a modification. I will try to save the pump from the old one when I replace it.......

I use the dish washer for santizing, (no detergent); AFTER, washing in One Step. Biggest reason is I don't have a drain tree and the dishwasher rack is the most convenient way to drain. I usually throw a couple of campden tablets in during the second wash cycle. I understand it is not very likely a direct spray will go in most bottles; but believe the steam vapor and drying heat will give added assurance.
Worth mentioning is comments from old threads on this subject that left over food particles in the machine innards could give a very bad contamination issue.

I sanitize clean beer bottles in the dishwasher all the time. If you have a rinse agent in the dispenser I wouldn't use it though. It will kill your head retention. The wife uses those Cascade block things that have a dose of rinse agent in it so if I run the dishwasher without those in it, there is no rinse agent. I don't know which model it is but we have a Kitchen Aid that has a sanitize cycle in it. I don't know how hot it gets but it seems to have always worked.

Hey Smurfe,

About to head out the door to work. How goes the Brew Shed????

gaudet said:
Hey Smurfe,

About to head out the door to work. How goes the Brew Shed????

Don't even ask. The wife finally got ahold of the AC guy yesterday. He promised to come finish his mess this next weekend. We'll see I guess. I have heard this twice before.

Latest posts

Back