Sampling during secondary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwilson18

Junior
Reaction score
I'm currently making my first batch of WE Selection International Argentine Malbec. It's about finished with secondary fermentation and I plan to begin the next step tomorrow. While checking the sg (currently at .994) I emptied some of the contents of the wine thief in a glass and tried a little. It wasn't that good. Has anyone tried this and how bad was it?

Not a Problem

I'd be surprised if you didn't give it a taste. No problem though. I suggest you may want to top off with a similar wine though. You'll enjoy your sampling more after stabilization. I just bottled a kit of Argentine Malbec today. I am very pleased with the taste.

If you don't have a drill mounted mixer, I strongly encourage you to get one. Degasing is much easyer. I'm new to kit winemaking and didn't use one with my first batch. The wine was not carbinated, but it did foam more than I would have liked. I've finally bought a drill mounted attachement. I suggest several visits with the mixer during and after stabilization.

Happy tasting,
Paul

relax.
Continue to follow the directions. Keep sanitizing up

Your wine is very, very, very young. It won't taste great. Patience, my friend, patience. :hug

You know the saying "serve no wine before it's time" I had the same experience with my first WE red Vieux Chateau du Roi. I tasted it when I transferred from primary to secondary and it was horrible. After secondary and before clarification and degassing it was not a little bit better. When I racked again to start bulk aging it was starting to taste like a real but young wine. It was amazing how things improved in a couple of weeks.

I think what you are tasting is the C02 and that needs to be removed. It seems that WE kits seem to hold a lot of C02 in the wine. I do three things I shake it and pop the stopper, I use a drill motor, and finish it off with a vacuum. I found that one of those hand Reynolds wrap vacuum machines that you use with their special bags works great. All you do is remove the bung from your stopper and put the suction tip over the hole and it will create a very nice vacuum.

It never hurts to taste it, but when they're that young you probably shouldn't have high expectations. :)

Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll just have to be patient. Being as this is my first attempt I'm just trying to be sure I'm on the right track. I think I am. The degassing process leaves me with some questions though. I mixed it with a drill for a few minutes but didn't shake it or use a vaccum. How will I know all the CO2 is out before I bottle. The directions call for at least two weeks and they only mention to check for clarity. How do I check for CO2?

Taste test!!! See if it tastes fuzzy, and you can put the wine in a bottle, shake it with thumb over top, see if you get that pop/fizz of gas. : )

Don't be afraid to taste often throughout the whole process. It will help you further understand the progression through fermentation, clearing, and aging. Just don't make my common mistake and sample too much. I always end up sampling what I should of used to top up with!

I know I'm going to have to sample it again in about two weeks when I check the clarity. I'm sure there will be a big difference.

I love taste testing! It does give you an appreciation for the process. I had a cranberry wine that I thought was disgusting when it was done, I was ready to throw it it. I'm glad I didn't, after following a few tips from my LHBS it ended up being my most popular wine! I'm just hoping I screw up the next batch in the same way so it comes out just as good! :d

I love taste testing! It does give you an appreciation for the process. I had a cranberry wine that I thought was disgusting when it was done, I was ready to throw it it. I'm glad I didn't, after following a few tips from my LHBS it ended up being my most popular wine! I'm just hoping I screw up the next batch in the same way so it comes out just as good! :d

And what was that tip you used to make it so good after thinking it was ready for the dump?

Latest posts

Back