Sample bottles ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
A question about bottling … when you bottle your wine do you make a few small sample bottles? I was thinking, if you opened a bottle to sample your wine and was not ready to drink … instead of wasting a full bottle, maybe making a few sample size bottles.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
If you make sample bottles, what size bottles and how many per batch?

ThanksRick

Lots of people do this. They use the 375 or even smaller and usually they make about a 1/2 dozen.

Rick,

I wish I had your foresight prior to bottling my first two batches. All subsequent batches will have just what Wade suggested - about six 375 ml.

I've got a buddy that drinks the 375's otherwise, I like the beer bottle idea.

Ike

one question though......why bottle before its really ready?..let it age

i can see using smaller bottles to give out samples and share, or just to enjoy a small amount when a full bottle is too much for that sitting...

Al,

That's a great point. I don't know why I rushed to bottle my first batches - over-enthusiastic I guess.

Al, your right ... it's going to be hard to wait 12 months but I know that is the best thing to do ...

My work has 8 oz bottles that I can get really easily so I do the same thing all of you are talking about, I make up six small bottles when I bottle my wine and then date them each about 2 months apart. That way I get the best of both worlds... I have plenty of wines to taste,(once you make a few) and you get to see when it is really ready to start giving the stuff as gifts or bellying up to the bar(easy chair), and enjoying some for yourself
smiley4.gif

either way, by the time the little bottles are gone, your 1st year is up and its time to start on the 750's anyway!

Big Ike said:
Al,

That's a great point. I don't know why I rushed to bottle my first batches - over-enthusiastic I guess.

Newbie Over enthusiasm........ You are forgiven......... Drink up.....

smiley2.gif

as a rule of thumb,i always make up 375/bottles just for sampling and giving away,makes good sense to sample as it ages (if the wine last that long) and it allows one to be generous to a fault
smiley36.gif

I put samples in 187 ml bottles that I used for favors for a wedding. They take a #7 cork.

I use 187's too - you can also cap them if you have a bottle capper (which is a little less expensive than corking).

Back