rrawhide's Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all - UPDATE</font>

Well, things are/were going very well - looking down the top of the blue-x tubes and seeing lots of green. Then a brown kinda dead leaf appeared in one of the tubes. Pulled off the tube and all the branches and stems were dead. Hummmmmmmmm - pulled on the plant and out it came - no roots at all. hummmmmmmmmmmmm - gophers and more gophers. SO, poisoned and trapped for a couple of weeks - got some and thought things were all better - then super gopher appeared!!!! got some more of them - so we decided to dig them all up and made a wire basket out of 19 ga. hardware cloth 1/2" grid for each one of them. Had a few extra plants so were able to fill in the blank spots. All baskets are in now &amp; I took off all the blue-x tubes so we can watch what is going on better. Root ball is protected from gophers now and also the top is covered. Hope this will not hinder the plants from growing and developing. They are all mostly 3-4 feet tall now (single stem) and look good except for the replacements - 16-18".

Wadda ya think, guys - will the baskets help or hinder? We have done gopher traps; gassers; water and now a granular topdressing that you water in. Hope that this works - - -

any comments would be appreciated - thanx

rrawhide

Edited by: rrawhide

I know nothing about this stuff but just hd t make this comment! What a shame! Hope all gets better.

Yikes! Those are some super hungry gophers. I don't see why the baskets wouldn't work. Like you say you can monitor them better than with the Blue-X tubes. Most folks I know use them once and decide they aren't as good as others say for one reason or another. I hope they continue to grow well for the remainder of the season. At least you have a great long summer there.

Back